Thread: MA61 1jzge vvti fuel pump

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default MA61 1jzge vvti fuel pump

Just wondering if I should update the fuel pump in my MA61. The fuel pump is the original 5me job. The car is now fitted with a 1jzge vvti. Reason I ask is if you drive it reasonably sedately i.e. in the lower rev range, all is fine but if you give it a bit of stick it sort of dies in the arse in the high rev range when changing from 2nd to 3rd. Might even be the gearing. It's an auto. Whatever the problem is, it's pretty frustrating.

Any help appreciated,

Trevor

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: MA61 1jzge vvti fuel pump

The stock pump if in good condition should be fine.
    But if its the original pump from 1983, then it will be worth replacing it.

You could fit another stock replacement, but while you are going to the trouble you may as well fit a Walbro 255.

Pretty sure your car runs an external pump, but its worth checking (just above the diff on the drivers side)
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

When you say it like that it makes sense to change it cause like you basically say it's 30 years old and one of those Walbros sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check but I got a feeling it's in the tank. Hope you're right though. Also more than likely the engine needs a tune up as well or at least wouldn't hurt but I've got absolutely no idea how to tune one of these engines. I appreciate the reply. Cheers.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

It may not be the pump causing the problem, especially if its been there from the moment you finished the conversion. It could well be wiring or a sensor.
    Very common for an engine that hasn't been wired into the car properly to display poor driveability.
    But I'd replace the pump (and fuel filter) regardless.

Not much to 'tune' on these engine. They run coil pack, so no dizzy cap, rotor, or leads. Just make sure the plugs are the right ones and in good condition.
    Timing is fixed too, so unless its jumped a tooth on the timing belt, or you've got serious belt stretch, then all should be well there.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Bought it already converted sight unseen. I've said it before here but I'll say it again (only cause it makes me feel better) crap conversion job. Whoever did it originally clearly bit off more than they could chew. Wiring very poor job so could well be the problem. I have fixed or had fixed many things that were wrong with it. Not really that unhappy that I bought it. Fantastic cruiser. Just wish certain things worked better. There's a place here in Newcastle that apparently specializes in 1j's so might just take it there and get them to dyno it. That might pick something up. Cheers for the info CrUZida.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

I wouldn't run a 5ME pump, a 7MGE pump will run a 1JZ with stock boost but that's it;
    Does it have a fuel filter fitted?

dnegative sadly it's not a turbo. The young blokes driving it and he's on his L's and hopefully soon on his p's so no turbo. Re the filter I'm not sure. I went to the local dyno bloke today and he told me pretty much what CrUZida said. Not much he could do. New plugs and adjust the idle and that's about it the rest of it apparently does itself. After that I went to Supercheap bought some plugs and asked about a fuel filter. They don't have a listing for one and I couldn't find one on the car. Kinda dark when I looked so will have a better look tomorrow. Why do you ask about the filter ?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

JZ's dont run a fuel filter on the block like M series engines so there will be no factory provision for a fuel filter on either the engine or the chassis.