Thread: XT130/RT132 struts for RA23

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

Default XT130/RT132 struts for RA23

The other day I was at the local wreckers looking for Corona struts&brakes for my RA23. I remember from an article on the old forums that the RT132 struts were preferred to the XT130 ones (but don't remember why and I can't find the article anymore).
    Anyway, they did not have any RT132's, but truckloads of XT130's. I did find 2 different calipers, apparently on identical struts: there was the XT130E with double calipers and the XT130L with singles.
    I am now wondering if the struts with the doubles are the same as the RT132's, or should I just wait until they get 132 in?
    Projects: No project cars left ...

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: XT130/RT132 struts for RA23

For your intents and purposes the twin pot calipers on the XT130E will be virtually identical to the set-up on the RT132/133 models, so just get those. Should be the same price or cheaper that the full import ones anyway.
    This is if you are keeping the twin pots to use yourself, not upgrading to the Hilux calipers, then it does not matter, which ones you use.
    My local wrecker has an RT132 in there right now with a complete front end at the moment.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Thanks RA23celica, I'll pick up some XT130E struts next time I'm at the wreckers. For the time being I'll keep the Corona double piston calipers, as ATM I don't have too many horses to stop anyway

You will find that those twin piston calipers are pretty good, but you will notice a massive improvement once you get the Hilux units on there.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

You can still use the Peugot discs with the corona twin spots, you just need the split the calipers in half & add a 4-5mm spacer in the middle of them, this is what I've been using for a few years now. You don't get the added weight of the hilux calipers & the twin spots do almost as good a job. More that what you need if your HP isn't massive.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    You can still use the Peugot discs with the corona twin spots, you just need the split the calipers in half & add a 4-5mm spacer in the middle of them, this is what I've been using for a few years now. You don't get the added weight of the hilux calipers & the twin spots do almost as good a job. More that what you need if your HP isn't massive.
    Thanks for that! I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what was the point of the Pug discs again? Are they vented? I cannot access the article on the old forum anymore...

1. Yes, vented. That makes a huge difference.
    2. Perfect fit for Hilux calipers, no spacers required.
    3. Before my conversion from std. RA23 set-up, my struts weighed 19kg each complete.
    4. After my conversion to Lovells springs, Koni dampers, Pug rotors, Hilux calipers on Corona struts, they weighed only 21kg each.
    5. Lots of people play the 'weight' card on the negative side for this conversion.
    6. When you 'weigh' it all up, you will not get a better brake conversion for your money.
    7. When you first drive it after its fitted you will kick yourself for not having done it years ago.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Put it this way, with the hilux conversion i can punt around Mallala (a massively brake heavy circuit) running stock road pads, and still not get brake fade. That and i can run without a booster as well. Its a good conversion.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I'm with Takai, I have driven (once and a long time ago) around Mallala and it kills brakes. If this conversion works OK there, it will work anywhere.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I have never tried the hilux calipers, but with 180kW at the back wheels & the corona 2 spots & peugot rotors on the front I've never had a problem when it comes to braking.
    Fade is going to be the biggest threat to either setup, particularily on the track, & having morte pistons in your caliper isn't going to affect this.

If the hilux calipers only add 2kgs to the strut, corona calipers must surely reduce the weight? I'm by no means saying the 2 spots are better, I'm just saying they do a damn good job & weigh a whole lot less.