Thread: T series R31 disc brake conversion question

Forum Member

Default T series R31 disc brake conversion question

Hey guys, Ive almost finished converting a T series Ta22 diff to r31 disc brakes, but I'm just stuck on one part. I have the brackets bolted up all sweet, but for the caliper to sit correctly on the disc a small spacer is needed - here is a photo of it bolted up at the moment. I have just used four washers to get an idea of how it sits -

WP_20150327_017.jpg

I'm just wondering what sort of spacer I would need and where I could get it? I assume it would have to be a high tensile material and probably welded to the bracket. Any ideas?

Cheers

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Default Re: T series R31 disc brake conversion question

Hi ben-mac,
    It appears the engineers are on tea break!

If this conversion is going to be engineered then you best ask whoever you plan to get is signed off by.

Now on to the spacers I would personally measure the length of spacer required as accurately as possible and then measure the diameter of available space for said spacers so as to get maximum surface area. Take measurements and the bolts (or bolt diameter) to a local engineering works and have them machine up the required spacers from bar stock. For the bolts I would be asking the bolt supplier for whatever has the highest side loading capability. Someone may need to correct me here but my limited understanding is that high tensile bolts will have great strength under traction i.e. stopping a head lifting but not so great on side loading such as the brake caliper where the wheel is going to attempt to rip it off and rotate it...

Now the above may spark someone else to chime in!!

What are you doing for front brake upgrade?

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Forum Member

Default Re: T series R31 disc brake conversion question

Thanks Jason, I'll give that a go. My plans changed halfway through building it so I just figured I would finish it. But now I'm not sure if I want to sell it or buy another Celica to go over it.

My car has the same setup in the rear and Ra23 calipers on the front with a 1" Camry master. Stops pretty well.