Thread: 1JZ CT12A with Steel Wheel Help, noise normal?

backyard mechanic Grease Monkey celica77's Avatar

Default 1JZ CT12A with Steel Wheel Help, noise normal?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pick some of your brains. I recently bought a set of rebuilt CT12A turbos for my 1J and have fitted them along with new head etc. The turbos have a steel wheel in them,
    when at idle everything is really quiet, when it starts to build boost it has a different note now to the old turbos with the ceramic wheels, It is almost like a whistle/mechanical wine sound. I thought previously it might have been a air leak and have checked all seems ok. Car comes on boost hard and holds it fine, I was just wondering if anyone has done a swap and if it is normal for these turbos with steel wheels to sound different.

The other thing I have noticed is that the BOV used to be quite loud and I could make it vent in a flutter pattern almost with how i let off the throttle but now it seem to be different. Its still venting and working fine, quite noticable when under the engine bay and rev throttle you can hear it vent etc. It pulls hard, much better than before, I guess im just worrying myself about the extra noise under load.

Any suggestions of things to check, or prior experiences welcome

Cheers.

ANdy

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1JZ CT12A with Steel Wheel Help, noise normal?

A few years ago a guy was selling 1jz steel wheel turbo's on ebay which were a bit hit and miss in terms of the longevity, is it one of thse sets or do you know the history of he turbo's? Anyway, if it is a set of those they were by all accounts quite noisy in comparison to stock turbos but performed slightly better and 'most' seemed ok in terms of quality. Don't know if that helps or not but may explain the noise somewhat.

backyard mechanic Grease Monkey celica77's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ CT12A with Steel Wheel Help, noise normal?

Yeah the guy who built them has worked for many Turbo companies and has a balancing machine etc. rebuilt quite recently. not bought off ebay.
    anyway I have a hunch as to what it is, since the last test trive we cleaned up some of the welding on the intercooler pipes as it was quite messy. When grinding it off we mave have unearthed a pin hole that now "Whistles". Gonna check it out soon and do a smoke test on it to see if its all sealed.