Thread: Unknown leak into cabin ta22

Forum Member

Default Unknown leak into cabin ta22

Hey,

having a bit of trouble finding the mysterious leak

left my car out one night, came back to it with the entire passenger side with a nice pool.

it seems to run down the left side and misses the glove box, but lands on the parcel shelf beneath it

i thought it was caused by the front vent being blocked from letting water run down the outside and thus going in through the air vent

so I've cleaned inside the vent ran water down and no leak inside.

the windscreen weather seal it solid, the panels are straight.

any ideas?
    1972 TA22 2t-g blue beautiful runs like a bitch need as much help as possible

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: Unknown leak into cabin ta22

The original radio antennae grommet sits above the level of the parcel shelf, and as water sheds from the plenum chamber it runs right over this grommet. If the grommet is stuffed or missing there's your leak.

To determine where a vehicle is leaking panel beaters will spray an emulsion of talcum powder and metho over every seal and in all the areas where a leak could occur, the meth evaporates and you leave a coating of talcum powder behind. Shut all door and widows and drown the car in water, walk away for 10-15 minutes for the excess water to drain, then go back and see where the water has washed the talcum powder off..

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!