Thread: Cam angle sensor modification for ECU trigger - 4age 20v

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Cam angle sensor modification for ECU trigger - 4age 20v

Hi all,

I'm at the stage of my build where i have to modify my Cam Angle Sensor on my 4age 20v to suit the 4+1 dual pulse signal output for my ecu (Wolf 3D V4). The reason i've chosen to go this way is it's a proven thing and it works with this particular CAS and ECU without needing any other wiring/components other than 2 wires out of the CAS. So with that said, where i'm at...

I have the diagram of what is required out of the Wolf manual here (i'll be using the bottom of the two images):

And here's a picture of a standard 24 tooth trigger wheel off a 4age 20v. Since it's 24 teeth, there's 15deg between each one, or 30deg if you are talking crankshaft degrees:

So, given that i need to have 4 teeth on the wheel plus an additional one after the first, which is positioned 60deg BTDC (going off the crank), this is what i have come up with:

Does this look about right? Remember the CAS is on the back of the camshaft thus rotates the opposite way to the diagram. Also, the location of the sensor is about where it sits on the actual engine itself, with the adjustable slot centered on the mounting bolt and the engine at TDC cylinder 1.

It seems right but for whatever reason i'm doubting myself thus would like to get a second opinion!

Cheers,
    Dave
    SHEPPO..

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Cam angle sensor modification for ECU trigger - 4age 20v

Are you sure you need to change to only 4 teeth? I've had a Wolf V4 running my 4AGZE with unmodified CAS (apparently the same electrically as 20V dizzy) for ages. However this is using 2 sensors and therefore 3 wires (SYNC, REF and ground). If you'd like to have a look at my ignition setup drop me your email address and I can send you the map.

On the other hand your plan for the 4+1 setup makes sense.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

Its been a long time but...

Yes basically correct except can you explain why you are changing from 60 degrees and TDC for the trigger to 60 degrees and 30 degrees? 5 trigger points is fine for a wasted spark set up (most 4AGE applications)

Hi Hen, long time no talk
    Last edited by ira11y; 21-08-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Bad Memory
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Hen - I've chosen 4+1 as it's the recommended set up in the Wolf manual for multi-coil 4 cyl with sequential fuel injection. I know there's ways to make the original CAS work with the wolf, however I know the 4+1 works hence my reason to go this way. The 4+1 set up is less complicated and only uses one sensor, not two. So there won't be any sync'ing issues and only 2 wires = less stuff to go wrong.

ira11y - The manual also states that it should be set up at 60deg BTDC for best results... I have no idea why that is the case considering there's a correction factor on the input signal to allow the user to match the timing on the ECU with the timing on the motor.
    SHEPPO..

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

I think they run at 60 degrees because of the adjustment factor, i cant remember exacly but is it about 30 degrees adjustment on the wolf + cold start advance so you need that range when you take in to account trigger delay. I dont think I have my Wolf manuals anymore to reference.
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.