• 1JZGTE

7 14.00%
  • 4AGZE

2 4.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which motor for the RA23??

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Which motor for the RA23??

where's the option for 1UZ and 3VZ - they're probably no more expensive than a 3sgte

And i noticed that a century V12 didn't make the list?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    where's the option for 1UZ and 3VZ - they're probably no more expensive than a 3sgte

And i noticed that a century V12 didn't make the list?
    see my reply to barned
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

so the 3vz would still work then 6 cylinder (compact v6 as opposed to 1ggte inline 6)...engine is compact and would still keep engine bay quite tidy. Driveline doesn't need to be altered unless truly wanted to (3s requires gearbox, bellhousing, clutchy and flywheel stuff + others for the driveline).
    It's efi, still puts out strong reliable power, potential to get more power without too much modification to the engine itself (via turbos).
    weight is the only factor that the jury is out on for this conversion, nobody has been able to get a reliable weight figure for the engine by itself when compared to a 1ggte or 18rc but the weight would be towards the firewall for this engine.
    (we already know the 3s is quite light which is a big plus for the 3s choice though)

due to the factory unbalanced weight distribution of the RA23, weight balance does become an issue. Too much weight will adversly affect the handling at a track meet. RA28s dont have as much of an issue with this.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Not that I have much knowledge in this area, I would go the 1G until you can afford the 3S. Cheap, easy power you can have fun in. Whilst you are driving around in your car having fun, save up for the 3S. That way you dont get withdrawls like I did whilst your car is off the road. That's what I did with my '22 - built a stock hybrid to cruise around in whilst I build my absolutely bombed turbo'd hyrbrid!! Its a long way off, but at least 51LII is on the road whilst the engine is in the making. Good luck with it all.
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Which motor for the RA23??

Hey mate definitly go the 1UZ way i live in Nz and i am currently carrying out this conversion but with twin turbos. Fitting the motor is pretty basic all you need is a Ta23 Cross member and a rear sump 1UZ and the obvious custom engine mounts. The steering box etc will clear but may make it hard to get the exhaust out. I will not have this issue as i am fitting power rack and pinion steering. Also go for the Hilux diff i am using one and i have just finished welding all the pick up points onto the hilux diff. Big job but definitly gonna need it. So now i have a RA23 Diff for sale and a jig made specifically for setting up a Hilux diff if your interested. Brakes wise i am using IS430 lexus brakes. Not easy but as i got them for free and am a fitter turner/fitter welder by trade I am going to make them fit. If you want smoothness power and torque to do the obvious burn out previously mentioned and you want it to be cheap then this is the way to go.
    1UZ = $1000
    W58 = $1000
    Diff = $300
    ECU = $1200
    Adaptor plate for 1UZ to w58 = $300
    = $3800 cheap powerful and a very driveable car. And it will be different.
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]

did i mention more than 6 cyls are out of the question?? dont know about NZ, but V8 rego here is as dear as poison... and i would make the extra cash of putting a 3S in back in a few years. Also, the car is undergoing full interior and exterior overhaul, so $3800 is the tip of the iceburg. Car will get new paint (was going to pay somebody to do the whole job, but i think ill do the filling/colour myself and just get the sandblasting, sealing, underbody and clear/pearl done professionally), chrome 17" mags, and a host of electrical gadgets which will run off a PIC processor.

Dana, i did previously mention that im not doing the conversion twice.

Cheers, Owen

Quote Originally Posted by TTV8RA23
    Hey mate definitly go the 1UZ way i live in Nz and i am currently carrying out this conversion but with twin turbos. Fitting the motor is pretty basic all you need is a Ta23 Cross member and a rear sump 1UZ and the obvious custom engine mounts. The steering box etc will clear but may make it hard to get the exhaust out. I will not have this issue as i am fitting power rack and pinion steering. Also go for the Hilux diff i am using one and i have just finished welding all the pick up points onto the hilux diff. Big job but definitly gonna need it. So now i have a RA23 Diff for sale and a jig made specifically for setting up a Hilux diff if your interested. Brakes wise i am using IS430 lexus brakes. Not easy but as i got them for free and am a fitter turner/fitter welder by trade I am going to make them fit. If you want smoothness power and torque to do the obvious burn out previously mentioned and you want it to be cheap then this is the way to go.
    1UZ = $1000
    W58 = $1000
    Diff = $300
    ECU = $1200
    Adaptor plate for 1UZ to w58 = $300
    = $3800 cheap powerful and a very driveable car. And it will be different.
    Cheers, Owen

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

I'd go the 1UZ or if not that then 3S-GTE.

P.S. Nice engine choice TTV8RA23
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Anyone who says crap like "nah, i reckon XXGTE motor is teh poo, you shouldnt use it, use XXGTE cause i like it" will be neg repped.
    TripTek, your comment sounds very similar to the one that I explicitly put as a comment not to have in this thread. This is a technical thread, and technical reasons, not opinion shall be the sole discussion here. Joel saved himself by suggesting the advantage of the 3S's compact size. The poll is there for your opinion to be placed, and anything not on there should have a technical reason for your suggestion as being an option. May you be the only person to recieve the neg rep associated with such a post.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

i know nothing of it but how 'bout the 2zz from the later celica's and corolla's.
    It is a front wheel drive engine so the same problems with the 3s present themselves with this engie choice as well.
    It is a newer engine, there is a reasonable amount of aftermarket support, it is currently quite unique for the older celicas.
    Rev happy, vvti, light

might have starter motor issues, (if there is no provision in the block for it), and the electronics might be tricky, engine itself might be a bit also, but it would be quite a nice mating...

Fair and reasonable... but the matrix layered bores have issues if they ever get scratched up for whatever reason. Basically you cannot re-bore them. Apart from that, not enough is known about these motors. Also the high rpm nature of the beast makes them less preferred to the torquey nature of the turbo motors, and they would no doubt cost an arm and a leg to purchase just at the moment.

Unique suggestion tho, good thinking, but a pity ive already repped u.

Cheers, Owen

Quote Originally Posted by barned01
    i know nothing of it but how 'bout the 2zz from the later celica's and corolla's.
    It is a front wheel drive engine so the same problems with the 3s present themselves with this engie choice as well.
    It is a newer engine, there is a reasonable amount of aftermarket support, it is currently quite unique for the older celicas.
    Rev happy, vvti, light

might have starter motor issues, (if there is no provision in the block for it), and the electronics might be tricky, engine itself might be a bit also, but it would be quite a nice mating...
    Cheers, Owen

Just Soarin' Automotive Encyclopaedia derekjay's Avatar

A 3UZFE with a blower.

Quote Originally Posted by derekjay
    A 3UZFE with a blower.
    What did i just say to Triptek?? Everybody, please neg rep for this post whoring useless post.
    Cheers, Owen

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

Mate, you ask for people's ideas and then ya go ahead and shit on them by giving neg rep. Not a good way to thank somone. Don't post if you don't want comments.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

Not that I have much knowledge in this area, I would go the 1G until you can afford the 3S. Cheap, easy power you can have fun in. Whilst you are driving around in your car having fun, save up for the 3S. That way you dont get withdrawls like I did whilst your car is off the road. That's what I did with my '22 - built a stock hybrid to cruise around in whilst I build my absolutely bombed turbo'd hyrbrid!! Its a long way off, but at least 51LII is on the road whilst the engine is in the making. Good luck with it all.
    51LII as own stated he does not want to do the conversion twice.

owen if a 3S is what you want simply put the 18RC back in (weekend job) and save your money so as the paint-interior will be done is say 2 weeks min then the car is back at your house getting the 3S installed,

i personally would go for the 1G because they are every at reasonable prices, Parts are cheap and avalable, and there is so much you could do to them for more power.

the 1JZ would be a nice conversion to but unless you want serious power you would stick to the 1G,

your purpose of this conversion (rebuild) is a gift from you to the missus, have you taken her for a drive in a 3S,1G,1JZ etc.. and asked her what she feels most comfortable with??

and then if a 3S is what you want why dont you save the money/collect part so as you can put it in the RA28 and have a 1G in the 23.

or even a 4AGTE??? 1.6L turbo still leave tyre marks nice smooth engine will snuggle into 23 easily and wont be too much power for the missus.

its your call, but it also depends on what your main purpose of the car is,

DRAG,
    STREET
    CIRCUT.

good luck owen
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,