Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RA28 stering rack conversion (need advice)

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default RA28 stering rack conversion (need advice)

Hi all...
    I like to know,it is posible to use RA60 Xmember into RA28..I'm after stering rack conversion into my RA28, i see lot of forum member use xmember from AE86 and KE70..the reason i go for RA60 Xmember is no modification for engine mounting..I know this topic have pro and con..
    Hope you all can give me an advice....thanks.
    1976-RA28 Cicely mosquito LB2000GT

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 stering rack conversion (need advice)

I looked into this option and it could be made to work. But the front track would be very wide! Probably illegal, need flares? the rear would be skinner than front. etc etc.

I went with the KE70/AE86 as even though it was wider, it wasn't extreme and with +32 offset wheels (Silvia offset which has a huge range) it fills the guards nicely.

Cheers
    Joel
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

would suggest measuring/comparing:
    psteer unit and associated control arms
    Xmember (mount-to mount-bolt)
    position of lower control arm mount points
    length of control arms

can't find the data at the moment, but compare the track of an RA28 and RA60 - will give you indicator of width of the overall unit.

I had all that data somewhere but buggered if I can find it..

From memory the RA60 would have made the track a good 50 - 60mm wider each side. Can you say negative camber?

The KE70 was around 20 - 30mm wider..
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Im looking into this option atm for both an RA23 and a TA22. The main concern is the lower control arm mounts. The extra distance on these wont affect your track as much as it will your camber. So, to solve this problem you have a few options. Either re-position the lower control arm mounts, or elongate the holes and put an XF falcon style camber adjust pin in (if you dont know what i mean, go to your local ford wrecker and ask to see the front suspension setup on a XA through XF falcon) You may need a combination of both these tasks to get a perfect result, but this gives you camber adjust at the same time, and a good way to explain to your other half that the whole conversion will reduce your tyre wear and so cost less
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Be careful.. If you start moving the lower control arms around, you'll just introduce bump steer problems.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

perhaps another way around this is to use the TA23 xmember, and butcher the rack mounts off the RA60 xmember to put on there... just gotta be careful where you place the rack mounts, as you dont want them off centre.
    TurboRA28 - what kind of placement of the control arm mounts would be likely to induce bump steer?? Is it when you make the mounts closer/further from the rack, or is it movement in the other direction, or rotation of the mounts that will be likely to cause this?? This is something ill need to know for my conversion so i can avoid making a mistake.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Mate just out of interest, did you read my rack n pinion conversion writeup on the old forums? As a lot of this is covered..

But..

The first rack n pinion conversion I did was using a TA23 xmember, with custom mounts to hold a KE70 rack. I had to move the control arms outwards in this instance to get rid of bump steer.

This is something I wrote up when doing the TA23/KE70 rack setup...

I hope this info will help in setting it up correctly.

For zero bump steer the control arms and steering arms need to be identical in length. Also they need to be in a parallelogram with each other.

The ratio of the difference in height between the control arm inner pivot point and the steering arm inner pivot point, needs to be the same, as the difference between the control arm outer pivot point and the steering arm outer pivot point.

All measurements are taken from the relevant pivot points :
    Control arms are from the centre of the bush mounted on the cross member to the centre of the ball joint. This is 300mm.

Steering arms set with 0 toe are from the centre/pivot of the joint at the inner rack end to the centre of the ball joint/outer tie rod. This is approx 275mm – need to confirm.

With the above measurements the steering arm would need to be lengthened 25mm on each side. This increase will happen when the pivot point of the control arm is moved outbound 25mm.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Also I had problems with ackerman angles with the ta23 xmember.

If you were going down this path, have a look at MWP's information as he has refined the setup and it seems like it will be improved from mine. He fixed the ackerman problem by cutting into the xmember and moving the rack forward more. Also used a AE82? I think. rack that was the correct width and didn't need to modify the positioning of the control arms.

Cheers
    Joel
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Righto, i do remember reading that, but didnt make sense at the time as i was not seriously looking at a rack setup then. So... i need to find a narrower rack... one which will be the correct width once i have made my camber adjustments. Thanx heaps for the advice.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Grease Monkey

look like i have to find AE86 or KE70 xmember to do this conversion..and front 18r sump too,to get clearence 18rg engine into xmember...

thanks for all advice..
    1976-RA28 Cicely mosquito LB2000GT

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

heres what i did in my RA23

Consists of a cut down commodore manual steering rack mounted on a TA23 crossmember and using a KE70 steering column. I used a Borgeson universal joint to join the two together.
    Last edited by Pube; 17-12-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Righto, i do remember reading that, but didnt make sense at the time as i was not seriously looking at a rack setup then. So... i need to find a narrower rack... one which will be the correct width once i have made my camber adjustments. Thanx heaps for the advice.
    Now i have approved in these new forums....

The AE92 rack is the shortest i could find in a huge pile of honda & toyota items and is what im using.
    The AW11 rack is also very short.

The AE86/KE11 racks are a little be longer... cant remeber how much.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

20mm longer from memory. I had them sitting in my boot together a while ago, should have taken better photos.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

I know this thread has a little bit of age on it so sorry folks.

I just have a quick question on the mounting for the rack. From what I have read you all seem to go for a rear cross member (supports a front sump) and just weld on some tabs and bolt in the rack. Just say for arguments sake that you already have a car setup with a mid/rear sump and a forward cross member, could you not weld on some sort of mount to the cross member and still have the rack in the same place?

I guess from the fact that I have not heard of this being done there must be some good reasons for it

Please excuse my completly out of scale pic.