Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q: BEAMS dual VVTI head on a 5sgte build

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Default Re: Q: BEAMS dual VVTI head on a 5sgte build

Have a look at what the other car manufacturers do. I've got a BF F6 Typhoon and they use dual VVT.
    I'd bet money that BMW's recent turbo'd engines use it too.

My guess is that of the few who have actually turbo'd a dual VVTI engine, either they haven't said anything about their results, been able to control the dual VVTI (computer choice), or can't see the benefits in spending the money to actually get it tuned correctly.
    And I think the last point could be a stumbling block for anybody, but especially with a high HP turbo engine.

I've never done it, but I'd guess that tuning a dual VVTI engine would be rather chicken and egg.
    At a guess, with both cam's timing fixed at some point, the usual fuel and ignition tuning is done. But then the actual VVTI tuning of each cam would need to be done. And that would interesting, because you're also have to be making sure that each and every time either or both camshaft's timing is changed, that the fuel and ignition timing is also tuned to give best results.
    Now can you imagine doing this, or something similar to this, with a powerful (and frigging HOT!!!) turbo'd engine???

I love the idea (have wondered about implementing dual VVTI on a 4A head ), but I think it's going to be a big hill to climb. The end results, I think, will be well worth it, but it's going to cost you.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

re:fitting beams head to 5s block.

the hole on the underside of the head that gets the direct feed for the vvti would sit clear at the front of the block. I was going to bore the hole bigger and tap or weld a -3 fittin onto it then fit a modified sandwich plate where the oil cooler is and use a port of it to send oil upto the head.

to use a black top head in e/w config you also need to modify it at the water outlet.

the redtop manifold fits tho.

auto head doesn't have Ti valves.

ferrea make comp+ os valves and dual valve springs with ti retainers.

toda make 1 set of cams that keep vvti.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Hi Knightrous, your right it could be interperated that way, perhaps the 2J was too old for another revision. One thing to note is that all dual VVTI or VVTI-L motors that Toyota have made have been relased as naturally aspirated or non-turbo. Which makes me wonder - why not? When used on a NA motor, it optimise's it everywhere. But haven't seen a Toyota dual VVTI turbo set up, ever from factory. Perhaps the exhaust is not so important, as the main concern is getting the exhaust gasses out to spool the turbo, perhaps VVTI can do funny things for spool... don't think so though as there where some Turbo kits made for the Altezza...
    One thing to remember is that dual-VVTi or not, apart from the turbo-diesels and the TRD'd Aurion and Hilux Toyota hasn't made a factory forced-induction engine since the mid 2000s when the 1/2JZ and 3S were stopped.

In saying that though, the TRD Aurion was forced-induction (supercharged) dual-VVTi (the TRD Hilux was intake-only)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

as jonathan has said a fwd beams will be better if your car is fwd if you have a rwd car i have 2.4 stroker kits here with billet cranks 98mm stroke and 88 mm bore for forged pistons and forged rods in any comp that you like \
    also 5sfe blocks will need there water holes changed etc
    also have dry sump pans and pumps for these now in stock as im moving over to these since im throwing 1.9 GS through the corners at the island
    no wet sump will stop oil surge on slicks with these G forces