Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Diameter Fuel Hose Questions?

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Arrow Large Diameter Fuel Hose Questions?

If you have replaced the 50mm diameter fuel (delivery) hose from the bottom of the filler neck to the tank inlet in your TA22/RA23 can you please tell me:

1. What brand/type hose did you use?
    2. Could you get it pre-cut to the length you needed?
    3. Or was it cut using a stanley knife and some bolt cutters to get through the steel ring wire inside?
    4. If you got the fabric external material stuff did it seal as well as the original rubber one?
    5. If money was no object, what is the best solution here?

Many thanks,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Default Re: Large Diameter Fuel Hose Questions?

1. any hose that is graded to handle unleaded.
    2.you can get it precut to the old hose length or just cut it to size with hoseclamp and knife and sidecutters or tin snips make light work of the earth strap.
    3.answered
    4.fabric one will if its rated for unleaded.
    5.braided hose and dash fittings.

Thanks kingmick.
    This is what I thought.
    I have been trying to cure an overpowering petrol smell in my RA23 whenever I fill the tank to the top.
    When I found that the original hose had a spilt at the top, and that was below a gap in the parcel shelf, I thought that a new pipe would cure it.
    I have since moved aound and retightened the hose clamps on the new pipe (unleaded rated) and that stopped the small seepage I was getting at the top, but I still have that rotten big petrol smell.
    Is there anything that can track petrol vapour back to it point of original - besides spark and then flames?!?!?
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

a ver clean, long pipe - one end inserted in an unused nostril, the other at potential sources of fumes - inhale via your nose.

If anyone asks what you're doing, you say a 1/4 gram bag broke open on the rear parcel shelf.

Thanks mate, I will have to use this as there is no way I could fit a credit card or a rolled up $5 note in there!
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

I had a similar fuel vapour problem in a RA28 which turned out to be one of the vacumn hoses off in the rear side panel for the emissions vapour control system. It is a black plastic box with at least three vacumn hoses going to it, one to the engine and one to tank. I assume there will be the same in the back of the RA23 which will have the same result.

It was a long time ago, before I knew of about the charcoal canisters, which maybe what it was. It so try to trace there vacumn lines to the back of the car and into the tank.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

my 1st gen celica, was a TA22, however the charcoal canister was a very prominent resident in the engine bay, so im guessing toyota didnt flip everything, and the ra2X series are the same, fuel has to come from somewhere dude, so fill her up, dump the fluid, then drop the tank, and see if you can see where its leaking from by where its wet, obviously where it shouldnt be.

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

some cars do have charcoal canister in the boot/side panels at the rear...

so fill her up, dump the fluid, then drop the tank, and see if you can see where its leaking from by where its wet, obviously where it shouldnt be.
    the fuel smell is evaporated fuel.
    fuel evaporates too quickly to be able to trace a very small leak.. even a very small amount of fuel makes a terrible smell.

take 1 drop of petrol... put it in your bedroom (ask your parents permission first ) and see what it smells like in 2 or 3 minutes....

as brian suggested, it may not even be a fluid leak, but could be a vapour leak instead...

as Chuckster suggested, the best way is to air out the car a bit and use your nose to identify where the smell is coming from..... just remember to breath clean air once in a while and don't do in a garage...

if you wanted to get really tricky you could borow a carbon monoxide meter from somewhere.... then rig something up to suck air past it, via a long hose (instead of ya nose ) except larger carbon molecules are a bit sticky and the sensor will go nuts for a while (since CO sensors are also sensitive for organic gases as well)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

The problem is not going to be fixed until you have a vacumn in the tank after being run such that when the filler cap is removed air is sucked in.

To test try to wrap the filler hose with tape or similar to make sure it is sealed, do something to make sure the filler cap is not allowing air through (replace the seal or put tape over the end). Then after the car has run for a few minutes pop open the cap and listen for the suck of air. If no suck then keep trying to find it.

I am not sure on the safety aspect (maybe someone else would like to veto this idea) but maybe putting some low pressure air (less than 10psi would be my geuss) into the fuel supply line to the tank and listen for the hiss of air escaping. Having a bottle of soapy water to spray and look for bubbles might also work - now you can smell for it, listen for it and look for it.

Whatever hose is leaking should be replaced with proper automotive fuel/vacumn line.

Junior Member Grease Monkey BigBadBenny's Avatar

mitch,
    You have an RA23 right?....well it's a good 30 years old.
    My advice is drain the fuel, (there is a drain plug that is accessable from under the car)
    Remove the tank, and replace all the joining hoses.
    If one hose is leaking then is would make sence to replace them all if they are all of the same age. It should take you about 2 hours, maybe more if your just taking your time, and you should have change from $15.

and on a side note, I remember having a fuel leak in one of my celica's from a sender seal from memory, (on the drivers side of the tank)
    Regards
    Benny

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Does anyone know where he could get the hose between the filler hole and the top of the tank?
    I had a customer ask me today but i had no idea... I suggested places that do fuel tanks lol
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated, I am going to try sniffing and feeling for wet spots and then draining and pulling and replacing and crossing my fingers after that.
    Ace,
    I got my hose from Hosemasters, but you can try EnZed, Hose Doctor, or just about any other hose supplier in the Yellow Pages. You want 50mm inside diameter, about 230mm long and rated for unleaded fuel.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Stu, once again, youve tried to prove me wrong, but im afraid, this time, your facts arent relevant.

i for one, had the same issue, i cleaned all the pipes, and did what i described, i found that fuel wasnt wet, but rather looked wet, because of the residue it left, which, on rubber/plastic is clearly visible.

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Grease Monkey BigBadBenny's Avatar

I do agree with Eldar.O.
    It is very easy to spot the fuel leak even when it's not wet with fuel, there is a noticable stain or residue as such left behind.
    ben.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    Stu, once again, youve tried to prove me wrong, but im afraid, this time, your facts arent relevant.

i for one, had the same issue, i cleaned all the pipes, and did what i described, i found that fuel wasnt wet, but rather looked wet, because of the residue it left, which, on rubber/plastic is clearly visible.

Eldar.O.
    LOL, once again my furry friend you have completely missed the point.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    as brian suggested, it may not even be a fluid leak, but could be a vapour leak instead...

you sir, are a fool amongst men.

i have had the same thing as you also. when there is a BIG leak, the pterol aditives can leave a mark, but as i was trying to point out THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE, and residue is not always left.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!