Thread: 2JZ-GTE Harmonic Balancer / Crank Pulley

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2JZ-GTE Harmonic Balancer / Crank Pulley

Hi all,
    Crank pulleys on 1JZ and 2JZ are prone to come apart after sometimes.. my question, is anyone here run a solid aluminium crank pulley on these engine? I'm talking about daily street bone stock 1JZ 2JZ-GTE.

So I'm not so worry about crank being out of balance in high RPM as most of the time it will just be around 3000-4000RPM operating range.

Just don't want to worry about stock harmonic balancer comes apart even replaced a new one for $400-$500 and worry again in the next 100,000km service.

Cheers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 2JZ-GTE Harmonic Balancer / Crank Pulley

People have used solid pulleys on engines that had Harmonic balancers initially, but in my eyes I don't understand why people would want to do it, its a Harmonic balancer so it dampens out the Harmonic vibration of the crankshaft, ( ie the twisting motion of the crankshaft due to the power pulses so its not actually a balance thing as such that you mention ) & there is No way a solid pulley will in any way dampen out the Harmonic's .. Manufacturers are out to save money on everything they put into a car & they would save heaps on using solid pulleys but they don't !!! .. No need to say any more ...

Also if you are thinking of fitting a solid Aluminium pulley I don't like your chances of the belt ribs on the pulley lasting the 100,000 km mark either, I think you will find you will need to replace it too due to wear, that's if you crank lasts that long !!!

As far as I know my pulley has never been changed & its around 190,000 km's now, I have done about 80,000 of that & would be very surprised if it was changed at the 100,000 km service & as it doesn't seem to be an issue at around that time
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 15-06-2014 at 09:38 PM.