Thread: Replacing Air-Con control panel - Will other units work?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Replacing Air-Con control panel - Will other units work?

I've got a Carina ED ST183, of which half the air-con buttons don't work. Fan speed and temp control are broken, when I bought the car an auto-elec had wired up a switch to turn the air-con on at full fan speed, and to change temperature I have to adjust a lever under the hood.

Without actually taking it out to check the part number, I assume it is 55900-20760 going by this site.
    Going through some yahoo auctions, the ST190 units looks close, but not quite.

Does anybody know how toyota part designations work? Would something with the 55900 prefix plug straight in, even if they were completely different like this, and this?
    Obviously retrofitting would be in order, and I assume the other functions that require parts which aren't present in my car simply won't do anything.

Just curious, as finding parts for my car seems to be hard.. Even in Japan lol

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Replacing Air-Con control panel - Will other units work?

are the buttons physically broken, ie.fallen out ect? or do they just not do anything when pushing them? my old mk3 supra had a heap of dry solder joins in the back of he a/c control panel, just pulled it apart, re-touched all the solder joins and it was like a brand new one, had all fan speeds, heater worked, could change vents and everything, apparently i was common in them rigs, may be similar in yours.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Replacing Air-Con control panel - Will other units work?

Hard to tell, some of the buttons look stuck in. Ie I press them and get no feedback.
    Not sure what the auto elec did either.. But I guess I could pull it all apart and check the joints etc.