Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS200 Engine Conversions and maintaining Climate Control and Dash functionality?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default IS200 Engine Conversions and maintaining Climate Control and Dash functionality?

So there's a heap of threads on people who have performed engine conversion on these cars and I am also considering this possibility. But there doesn't seem to be any detail about what people have done in order to maintain factory dash and climate control functionality. And I've spent days searching, reading whole build threads on here and other forums as well.

I have read that the factory ECU needs to be in place, but anyone who has started posting about that never seems to post to completion of that process. I have seen that user grahamd seemed to have conquered the problem, but never posted the details and is no longer active on the forums I've seen him post on.

Anyone prepared to share their hard earned knowledge?

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Default Re: IS200 Engine Conversions and maintaining Climate Control and Dash functionality?

Talk to brett from all style automotive fame, IS1000 on many a forum, IIRC he has done heaps of conversions and still maintained factory dash.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Default Re: IS200 Engine Conversions and maintaining Climate Control and Dash functionality?

I tried to track him down as well, but similar to grahamd, no longer seems to be active on the forums he used to frequent! Certainly not under that username anyway.

*edit* Ok, I think I did find him. Seems to work elsewhere these days.

I also managed to find a phone number for Graham, but I literally caught him boarding a plane to go overseas for a month!

Im not sure he ever put the info 'on the line" as it were either as its how they made an income for a while there.

Be handy to know though, if he will share it.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Just working out the right way for me to approach him as a complete stranger in the hope he will share. And not come across as a stalker............

Just say your looking to purchase one of the cars he built back in the day?
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

double ecu is the way to go
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

yes like George said

u run the is200 ecu and the new ecu to run new engine

only time u can maybe run just the new ecu is if its a late model Toyota with the multiplex system

ive done afew is200 and water temp gauge and ac doesn't work
    the rest I can get going but to get everything going the price doubles or triples which scares most people away

so depends how competent u r at the wiring
    is200 ecu is at front passenger side of engine bay which makes it hard to work with and messy

Yeah, i figured the dual ECU thing is the go, but I was hoping someone here had the knowledge of the details without having a commercial interest in it (more power to those who do!) and might be willing to share it given how many conversions there are running around.

I have seen mention of a requirement to mimick actual running of the engine to the IS200 ECU in order to get the climate control working. I'd seen reference to a circuit board that grahamd had to make back in the day in order to get it all working for him.

dumbass, are you prepared to throw some ballpark figures at me. PM if you'd prefer. Considering either a 1UZ or LS1 preferably with factory ECU.

dual ecu is easy
    leave the orig loom in there and ecu
    wire up new ecu and get everything working
    then slowly remove bits of old loom that u don't need

its not hard, just takes along time
    I spent 2 to 3 days wiring an ls1 into an is200
    most guys wont spend the money to get everything working and look nice
    so I remove orig wiring and just wire up new stuff
    then get as much as I can working

people will spend 5 to 10 grand on paint and wanky shit but they wont spend 1 grand on getting wiring done nicely
    this is why there is not a lot of complete perfect conversions running around
    most are done in backyard

ive done ls1s into late model nissans and it cost around 2000 to 2500 to get everything working perfectly

if u want a 1uz u might aswell go buy a vn v6 commodore and drive it
    much cheaper and goes just as hard hehehe

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

bahaimus - If your thinking v8, probably best with something like a 1uz vvti or 3uz. They both run multiplex systems, so you should be able to run just the one ecu.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

jzx110 is another good option...

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post

people will spend 5 to 10 grand on paint and wanky shit but they wont spend 1 grand on getting wiring done nicely
    this is why there is not a lot of complete perfect conversions running around
    most are done in backyard
    This is SO true. Doing an engine conversion on something 80s/90s like an S13 etc is a piece of piss. Move forward a few years to cars like the E46 which run canbus for almost everything, and getting shit to work as per factory takes much much more work.

You can do some pretty cool stuff with microcontrollers nowadays which means you dont necessarily need to use the original ECU (depending on the car and what system they use), I was able to get the dash on an E46 talking to an LS1 using an arduino and canbus interface. I was going to set the aircon and whatnot up through it too but, as above, the time involved was too much for the people paying the $$$ and so it ended up being a half-baked job, much to my disappointment
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

hey trdee
    u r not working with haltech in yr spare time regarding bmw canbus stuff ????

conversions are dying in the ass
    so is the whole automotive industry

I spoke to someone the other day and he collects waste oil from mechanical workshops
    he is collecting about 50 to 70% less than what he used to a year or two ago

thank fk car manufacturers build shit quality cars which means I do get to try fix some of them
    and keeps me busy

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

The owner wanted to use the LS1 ecu so I needed to go down a more circuitous path with the arduino and shit to get the dash to work. I have seen that haltech (and adaptronic now) support canbus, haven't had a go with the haltech stuff myself though. Actually I haven't done much with anything from haltech really. Only ecus I've played with are adaptronic, microleb, moristech/blackbox, and LS1 ecus I might be helping a friend with an old haltech soon though.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta