Thread: 71 Rona boot seal, cant close boot!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 71 Rona boot seal, cant close boot!

hey guys, did a search but couldnt find anything, im wondering if any of you could help me with a liittle boot seal problem, now the car came without a boot seal in place, but he supplied what he said was a boot seal for an rt81, now i have tried to fit it as seen below, but the corners seem to stand at right angles, meaning the boot cannot close, is there any trick to getting the corners to sit down properly? could i have the wrong seal? is it on backwards? any help would be appreciated, please see the images below.

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Default Re: 71 Rona boot seal, cant close boot!

Fit looks pretty much right, tho seems to be too long - which suggests that you might have the wrong seal. How close is the boot to closing? After-market boot seals are notorious for sitting a bit high. A bit of adjustment to the boot latch may get the boot closing (with a firm push), but you may find that it sits a few mm high. My TA22 Celica has the same problem - I just live with it....

Paul

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

with some adjustment of the hinges, the latch and cutting the seal to length, i can close it, the boot does sit a little high, but im okay with that for the meantime,

one issue i do have is that when i open the boot, the boot lid arms pull the seal off int he corners, as the clearance between the boot lid arms and the seal isnt sufficient, and the seal catches, shuld i get some sealant and glue the corners down? or should i take a chance and order a new boot seal?,

but this will work in the meantime, thanks for the advice.

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Would be good to get some advice from a Carona owner to hear whether boot seal fitting is a general issue, or whether you've just got yourself a dud. My own experience is that all after market seals are pretty similar in terms of their fitting, so getting another after market seal may not do you much good. If you are able to lay your hands on a genuine OEM seal - then that'll be your best chance of a good fit. But for an early 70's car - pretty hard to come by (and expensive). You'll find that the seal you have will settle a bit in time - meaning you can tweak the boot adjustment a bit - however it'll probably never be 100% right. A bit of sealant to hold it in place should be no problem.