Thread: Jza80 w58 remote shifter into mc83

sus-023 Backyard Mechanic Slidin23's Avatar

Default Jza80 w58 remote shifter into mc83

Hey I have a mx83 1jz that I'm doing a manual convo on.
    I bought a jza80 w58 with the remote shifter.,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted one of these boxes with the remote shifter to a cressida and how much you need to cut out to fit it?

I'm keen to use this set up as it sits back further and I like that. But how much further back does it sit? Do you have to cut the console or is there enough room? Looks like there is a fair bit of room and it doesn't look like the shifter sits back to far.

Cheers jake

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Jza80 w58 remote shifter into mc83

it will sit JUST infront of your handbrake. yes you will have to cut the floor and console.

you are better off getting a mkiii supra box and swapping the bellhousing, as its a direct bolt in.

You've done it have you?

It looks like I won't have to cut the console. Just a bit of the floor. I would like to use this shifter set up as it feels and looks nicer. (It goes strait instead of on an angle like the others)

And I'm not keen on how far forward the other one is..

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slidin23 View Post
    And I'm not keen on how far forward the other one is..
    But it sits where it should, I put a MA70 W58 in my old car and the shifter sat right where you would want it to be. Same deal with the Supra R154 I have in my Cressida now, perfect. The MKIV supra W58 don't shift any better nor are they any stronger over a MA70 box but if you already have one, your going to destroy your center console and handbrake fitting it.

I would tell you to buy a R154 as you will break the W58 if you like to fuck around but too late for that lol

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Slidin23 View Post
    You've done it have you?

not personally, but i have seen the results, it's not pretty.

I'll give it a test fit this weekend before I cut anything see where it sits and let you guys know how it turns out. I'm not a hack so if I decide to cut the floor it'll be nice and neat..

I couldn't justify spending 1400 dollars on a r154 when I got a w58 for a couple hundred dollars. And I'm not hard on boxes. Even with drifting I never broke a stock s13 box with 200kws. The mistake people make is running a silly clutch. The clutch is ment to be the weak point.
    I hear w58's are stronger than Silvia box's to. And the later w58 being the strongest. Not sure if that statement is true though.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

I found the MKIV supra W58 to shift much nicer than the other w58's i've driven.
    (The MKIV box was converted to internal shifter, both running the same short shifter, and both running redline oil, major difference being age though).

The MKIV shifter rods have a much tighter tolerance between them, (less free play) and ran bearings instead of a bush in the main shifter rod (smoother maybe)

If it were me, I'd convert the MKIV box into an internal shifter (with the right position to stick out the hole and then use a TRS short shifter with an appropriate bend)
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

W58's strip 3rd under load, bloke at work did 3 merging and overtaking people. Every time, shift to 3rd and a few seconds later, blender full of rocks.

I'm also struggling to find the parts to change it to internal shifter. Otherwise I wouldn't think about trying this set up.

People seam to think the w58 is weak as but I have seen many take power and hard driving. My brother has one behind a worked 5l in his vk Brock. Making 215kws atw. Hasn't broken it and he certainly doesn't baby it. Although it doesn't see the rd often. I'll let you guys know how I go with breaking box's though. Although w55 replacements are only 300 dollars from my local wreckers. Considering buying one for the shifter set up and keeping it spare..

Ok so just test fitted the motor and box and it's way to far back!
    I would need to cut the center console. Which would look shit house.

Sooooo does anyone have a smashed w55/58/57 that I can get the shifter and bits off of?
    I'm in as but am willing to pay freight if someone wants to make cash.

Cheers jake

Ok so just test fitted the motor and box and it's way to far back!
    I would need to cut the center console. Which would look shit house.

Sooooo does anyone have a smashed w55/58/57 that I can get the shifter and bits off of?
    I'm in adelaide but am willing to pay freight if someone wants to make cash.

Cheers jake