Thread: Blacktop 20v swap into AE92 ignition problem

Time to spank the Grease Monkey

Default Blacktop 20v swap into AE92 ignition problem

Hi all,
    I've got a Blacktop into my AE92 Trueno, that just isn't firing up.
    The Blacktop came out of a bashed up AE92 SX that was running fine when the engine and converted loom were pulled out for me.
    The Trueno has a Bigport standard, so there was a difference in the plug from the engine loom to the dash loom - a cable tracer and continuity tester helped to make an adaptor between the SX plugs on the blacktop loom, to the standard dash plugs (I figured the moment I chopped off either plug to adapt to the other I would end up with wires everywhere - this was a lot better!).
    I have not yet hooked up the "start" signal that goes into the 22 pin plug on the blacktop ECU (which is an Auto one, but the car's a manual), but realistically that will just increase the duration of the injectors to richen it up - in a Bigport or Smallport the start signal activates the cold start injector.
    Basically, cranks over fine when the key is turned to "start", the fuel pump whirls away, and there's plenty of compression. But...
    No spark. No spark at the coil, and there seems to be no power from the black/orange wire that gives power to the igniter and coil.
    I've checked the fuses, swapped main engine relays, and the black/orange wire goes from the loom under the dash, to the engine loom, has perfect continuity. The igniter and coil are bolted in place and earthed out properly.
    An idea I haven't checked is if something on the Auto ECU is doing something (in case the place I got it from swapped the ECU on me... ), but, I figure if it was that it would more likely be a Neutral Start Switch issue and therefore it wouldn't crank.
    It's probably something really simple, but if anyone has any ideas that may help it would be greatly appreciated...
    Cheers,
    Jon.
    AE92 Lueno GT-Apex (zenki Trueno with a Levin front end) - BT 20V & LSD
    KE30 Tudor - 2T-GEU, T50, T292

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Blacktop 20v swap into AE92 ignition problem

Check for power at coil
    They are pretty easy to fault find
    U got injector pulse
    If no injector pulse u have dizzy signal issues

I'll hook up the start wire to the ECU and see if that makes a difference first - and I'll check power at the coil, but again, power to the coil comes from the black/orange wire, which I'll double check continuity on, as it doesn't seem to be getting power from.

Found the issue - two black/red wires mixed up by me, so the one that is B+ and goes to the ignition switch and then onto the igniter and coil was not doing that.
    Swapped it over, started straight away. Loudly purring now - need to get the exhaust's secondaries done.
    Tips will be written up soon.