Thread: 1998 2RZ Hilux overheated and blown radiator

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1998 2RZ Hilux overheated and blown radiator

My radiator has blown and I overheated the car several times in the process of finding out/getting it home. I have ordered a new radiator, but have been informed that I have most likely cracked the head.

I am not sure as what to do. I am hoping that the 1% chance of it actually still being ok is a reality but have to expect the worst.

Cheapest low km engines I can get hold of seem to be 1JZGE. Is there any chance that this will bolt to the RZ gearbox? 1RZ replacement engines seem to be sparse (living in Tasmania) and 3RZ are expensive or very high mileage.

Really looking forward to some decent Toymods wisdom on this

***TYped 2RZ instead of 1RZ in title. Sorry!
    Last edited by d3v147; 29-11-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typos

Junior Member Grease Monkey stealth's Avatar

Default Re: 1998 2RZ Hilux overheated and blown radiator

Depends what gearbag is behind the RZ motors. If its a W series or R series you can fit a JZ with a different bellhousing.

What does the sump on the RZ look like? You'll either need a front, mid or rear sump JZ, (jzx90, jzz30 or jza70 respectively.)

The biggest problem I can foresee is radiator issues. JZs are big engines and trying to squeeze one into a 4cyl engine bay is tough. I ended up with about 45mm for a radiator in my Celica, with the engine as far back as it will go.

Then add different engine mounts, power steering lines, aircon lines, wiring and air intake etc... I think you'll find fitting another 4 banger is much wiser.
    Even a 3vzfe v6 would be easier than a JZ I'd imagine...

Do-able, but it sounds like you're on a budget, and this wouldn't be a cheap swap.

I reckon it'll be easier and probably cheaper to fit another 4cyl...

my $0.02 considering I've just finished a JZ swap...

Hope ya get back on the road soon mate!
    JZA63 Celica 13.9 @ 162km/h

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I would think there is a fair chance the motor has done a headgasket at least & i agree with stealth about the costs involved in the conversion & if you want to do it legally too the engine needs to be the same age or newer than the car, so you would be looking at a late model VVTI 1JZ which are expensive .. If you are paying someone to do the work & wire it up etc, i would think especially with a late model motor its a 10 grand exercise incl exhaust & intercooler etc etc ..

Also i you dont do it legally with the fitting of a late model engine the car is worth Zip as no one else can get it engineered either with an older motor ..

How bad is it??????????
    What's the compression?
    Did it just loose its coolant & hisss?
    Did it slow down even though you kept pushing the gas to the floor and shook & pinged and smoked and smelled and puked out steam & water like a ruptured volcano until it stopped running completely, unable to start??

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have finally had a chance to pull the head off. (Recently purchased a house so a lot of projects wen on the backburner)

Head gasket was not blown, cylinders still have hone marks in them (240 000km!). In fact I couldn't see anything majorly wrong.

Symptoms were violently blowing coolant out radiator when trying to top up, water droplets out exhaust and onto ground. Erratic idle. Bad pinging - temp gauge obviously wasn't telling me motor temp as it works off coolant, which had been expelled.

I'm guessing there is a crack between an exhaust port and a water gallery.

If the head is cracked I expect it will be costly to source another - I don't see many of these engines getting around. If I do a conversion, I will do all the work myself except for tailshaft; I think an automatic holden 3.8 from a later commodore would probably be my cheapest option as they are plentiful.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

If the alloy head is warped you do not need a blown gasket as the gasket will not seal.
    If it is warped THROW IT OUT.
    Jealousy is a curse

After advice from a mechanic working at the local toyota service centre, I have been informed that even if it is cracked or warped is is locally repairable (within reason). I actually don't think its even warped as i could not find any evidence of leakage near the neadgasket (and there was a lot coming though - spitting out the exhaust). I do say that speaking in capitals definitely reinforces that you are knowledgeable about these engines.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

If it is warped due to heat it will probably be soft and will not be much good if machined flat as it will not hold the gasket properly
    Jealousy is a curse

Sounds exactly like putting water into a very hot engine that got that way because of coolant loss, puking it out until the internals are below 100F.
    Head bolts come out easy, loose like the head had really overheated & stretched them?
    If not, check the head for flatness and really try to figure out whether the bad radiator is the cause or the effect.

Head has been diagnosed. No cracks but quite warped. Have been quoted <$350 for surface grind, valve bucket clearances, cleanup, pressure testing, hardness testing. Also need to order a VRS kit from japan, have been informed this is up to $300 (depending on who you know). Yest the water exploding out was due to a hot engine, but when filled from cold it blew the water out the exhaust as well as pressurizing the radiator. (Water spewing out overflow). I will likely order the VRS set and get the stem seals done while it is off. I am not sure if it's worth changing the rings? Have been informed overheating can affect them.