Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MA61 Part Numbers & General Infomation

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: MA61 Part Numbers & General Infomation

How could i forget! Thanks Wilbo

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

Ok, i've just been looking into Koni shocks for the MA61 through a friend that can get them from the local distributor and have some interesting results.

According to the distributor Koni Sports are still available for the front and rear. I was even able to get pricing for them. Interestingly enough they work out to be over $100 cheaper all round than going with the MR2/E36 M3 options, and obviously bolt right up.

What I'm trying to work out is, why would people be looking at the MR2/M3 option if the MA61 Koni's are still available? Has anyone actually tried ordering them to be told that Koni can't do them? I don't have the money at the moment for either option so I can't exactly place an order myself to find out

Oh, and to clarify the part numbers in the Koni catalogue show as 86-1991Sport for the fronts and 30-1559Sport for the rears. The fronts are the same as a number of other Celicas and interestingly the AE86. The rears are the same as the Cressida MX32,62,73 and the RAV4. There is NO listing for Koni Reds for the RAV4 in the catalogue....

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Yeah I tried ordering Koni's a few years back and my local Koni retailer told me they just weren't available for the MA61. Perhaps they've updated their catalog since then after discovering some of their other products are compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Yeah I tried ordering Koni's a few years back and my local Koni retailer told me they just weren't available for the MA61. Perhaps they've updated their catalog since then after discovering some of their other products are compatible?
    Doubt it, I got this catalogue about 3 weeks ago and it's dated 2003

Oh well, was hoping I could save a bit of cash but looks like I might not be able to. When I have the cash I'll probably try ordering them anyway and see what happens

I'd +rep you but it won't let me yet

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

This is good news ma61turbo I'll have to make sure I get the cheaper ones

Garage Queen Automotive Encyclopaedia ZZT231's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo
    Ok, i've just been looking into Koni shocks for the MA61 through a friend that can get them from the local distributor and have some interesting results.

According to the distributor Koni Sports are still available for the front and rear. I was even able to get pricing for them. Interestingly enough they work out to be over $100 cheaper all round than going with the MR2/E36 M3 options, and obviously bolt right up.

What I'm trying to work out is, why would people be looking at the MR2/M3 option if the MA61 Koni's are still available? Has anyone actually tried ordering them to be told that Koni can't do them? I don't have the money at the moment for either option so I can't exactly place an order myself to find out

Oh, and to clarify the part numbers in the Koni catalogue show as 86-1991Sport for the fronts and 30-1559Sport for the rears. The fronts are the same as a number of other Celicas and interestingly the AE86. The rears are the same as the Cressida MX32,62,73 and the RAV4. There is NO listing for Koni Reds for the RAV4 in the catalogue....
    The main reason people are looking at the MR2/M3 option is that they can be adjusted externally (on the car) while the recommended MA61 and Rav4 rear are internally adjusted (have to take them out to adjust them).
    Cheers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

The parts numbers are correct just Koni Australia doesn't recognise they exist, you can order them through the states though.

It'll be interesting to see what arrive for my suspension , and after confirming fitment I'll add the part numbers I have lol.
    If in doubt power out

Quote Originally Posted by ZZT231
    The main reason people are looking at the MR2/M3 option is that they can be adjusted externally (on the car) while the recommended MA61 and Rav4 rear are internally adjusted (have to take them out to adjust them).
    Cheers
    Hrmm, I was under the impression that the Reds were the off car adjustables and the yellows on car.

Well, the catalogue is useless as far as that goes. Doesn't say either way, but I gather that seeing as it only mentions the Yellows as adjustable then the reds definately aren't. No point going with the MA61 part numbers from the states, would work out to be a very similar price to the MR2/M3 option locally and get the added bonus of on car adjustable.

EDIT: After further investigation it seems like it all depends on part number as to what is adjustable or not. Reds come in adjustables as well, both internally and externally.
    Last edited by ma61turbo; 06-09-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
    This is good news ma61turbo I'll have to make sure I get the cheaper ones
    Well, going by the links in the first post, you'll only be able to get Yellows for the front and reds for the rear, from the states. Using the Classicgarage links, #86-1991Sport(front) are $274.40/pr and #28-1131(rear) are $52.96/ea. That's $380US prior to shipping etc. Not bad really, would be a decent option for you I reckon. And as has been said both of these are off car adjustable.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

FWIW my Koni yellow's are externally adjustable, not sure if that applies to all yellow's though?

FWIW my Koni yellow's are externally adjustable, not sure if that applies to all yellow's though?
    See my edit above...

Garage Queen Automotive Encyclopaedia ZZT231's Avatar

Some reds can be externally adjusted also depending on the type of car. The koni recommended shocks for the MA61 fronts a RAV4 rears are internally adjusted and they are yellows as I've got them on the car.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo
    Hrmm, I was under the impression that the Reds were the off car adjustables and the yellows on car.

Well, the catalogue is useless as far as that goes. Doesn't say either way, but I gather that seeing as it only mentions the Yellows as adjustable then the reds definately aren't. No point going with the MA61 part numbers from the states, would work out to be a very similar price to the MR2/M3 option locally and get the added bonus of on car adjustable.

EDIT: After further investigation it seems like it all depends on part number as to what is adjustable or not. Reds come in adjustables as well, both internally and externally.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

This is a confusing subject, shocks is. I did a fair bit of research and found that the Yellows are in-car and Reds off-car adjustable. Seems some reds are in-car adjustable acording to Tim. Seems it might take a while to get to the bottom of this subject about Reds and Yellows.
    The reason the Koni Yellow MR2 front and E36 rears is such a good combo is that they are:
    1. Both in-car adjustable
    2. The E36 rears are a really stiff spring. The softest setting has been said to be like the hardest setting on MA61 specific adjustable shocks. So, they are good track shocks.
    3. Easily acquired. Well from the US but your not going to get them in Aussie i dont reckon.
    The only downside is your going to be parting with close to AU$900...

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    This is a confusing subject, shocks is. I did a fair bit of research and found...
    It really shouldn't be that hard....!
    (http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/2005applguide.pdf)

We all know that the MA61 front part numbers are 86-1991 (sports), which are yellows. Looking at konis table we can see that these are
    -Twin Tube Hydrulic
    -Standard Adjustiable (NOT externally Adj)
    -McPherson strut Cartridge

And if you did some more searching...
    (http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/K...ortCatalog.pdf)

Looking at konis table we can see that these are
    -Twin Tube Hydrulic
    -Standard Adjustiable (NOT externally Adj)
    -McPherson strut Cartridge
    -Rebuildable

Cheers
    Wilbo

Yep, all this information is in the Koni catalogue that I have. As I said, it depends on the part numbers, not whether they are Red or Yellow. That just seems to denote the strength of the dampening, ie the yellows have a much stronger dampening action than the reds.

+rep Wilbo