Thread: 2GR experts? (2GR into mr2 stuck in limp mode - code U0101)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default 2GR experts? (2GR into mr2 stuck in limp mode - code U0101)

riposting on behalf of AW11man:

I have recently had done a 2gr conversion into mr2.

Engine is out of an aurion which has a transmission control module (TCM) fitted to the standard auto, I am running a manual.

The code is U0101 lost communication with tcm.

I have done a little research, the ecu and tcm communicate via a can network which apparently is hard to bypass or trick the ecu into thinking
    it is operating normally.
    I did not get the tcm with the engine package.

So my options are to get another tcm and hope i can get it to happily communicate with the ecu or
    get another non TCM ecu and have my self an unknown amount or re-wiring to do.
    I know the standard kluger has no tcm and no imobilizer but has a 6 plug ecu, my current aurion one is a 2 plug.

I would much prefer to go with the tcm option if it would work so if any of the experts have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

Default Re: 2GR experts? (2GR into mr2 stuck in limp mode - code U0101)

ok if you are going to run it as a manual you do not need the auto trans ecu, however then you keep the code. if you then refit the ecu you will lose that code, but then gain 2 or 3 new codes as the ecu cannot then find the solenoids in the auto trans. to fix those codes I assume you would have to measure the resistance of those solenoids and add appropriate resistors. I guess as you fix one code you will then find another code generated. Don't be surprised however if you find you get new fault codes when you are driving even after fixing all the auto trans error codes. other option is to buy an earlier type of ecu from an usa spec 2gr camry/avalon (ie before gsv40) that does not care about the auto trans

T

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Right I was worried this could be the situation, might be hard to mimic the behavior of the solenoids during driving conditions. I guess if i can just start by making the tcm think the gb is in drive and go from there.
    The problem is i cant find the pinouts for the gb side of the tcm to resist or ground the correct pins, there are 22.

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

Thats what I did - but I just wired it up in neutral! Suspect you will have problems wiring it into "drive" - first thing is it probably won't start - however there is actually a circuit for the clutch pedal interlock in the diagrams! (even though this motor was never available as a manual)

I will have that diagram - send me a pm with your email address

or you could buy the toyota repair manual - SC 02N1EQ was about $70 when I got it - think its a LOT more now!
    T