Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA23 1976 Left Passenger Side Chassis Rail is "Slightly Bent"

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default TA23 1976 Left Passenger Side Chassis Rail is "Slightly Bent"

Hi Guys I was hoping someone could help me.

I'm looking to purchase a TA23 1976 from a guy in Sydney. He advised me that the left passenger side Chassis rail is "slightly bent", Only God knows how bent! (he said that he drove it home from the guy he purchased it from and it was ok and the RTA gave him a day pass to drive it).

HE also stated that the car has a 18RGEU that's running but has been fitted with a after market microtech that needs to be tuned (don't know whats happening there).

With regards to the chassis being bent would I be able to change the chassis from another Celica or fix the current one? Or am I wasting my time? What is the best way of tackling this issue?

He said that he will email me more pics and a report from an engineer that had a look at it. The car looks clean but I also have noticed old ladies with hip problems looking good with some make up hahah (im funny)

Thanks Guys

Yoey

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: TA23 1976 Left Passenger Side Chassis Rail is "Slightly Bent"

Call a panel beater. They should be able to give you a ball park figure to straighten it.

I wouldn't be driving it too far without an expert giving it the once over. Could be bad times for all involved. RTA may have given him a day pass, it's pretty standard stuff, but I doubt they'd have known about the chassis rail.

Could end up being a big job depending on how bad its bent, is it priced accordingly ?? You need to go have a look at it your self in person & ideally take someone who is clued up on panel work, as you could otherwise get burnt badly ..

Depends on how good the pic's come out that are sent to you, you could possibly show them to a panel beater to get an idea of what it might cost ..

I agree about the RTA giving it a day pass, as if its like here in Melbourne they never even see the car ..

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

My old mans a panel beater he straightens cars fairly often. Unless its completely mangled they dont change it they just bend it straight, if its done properly its good as new

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

My first concern would be if it is so easy to fix, why is the other guy selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagie84a View Post
    My old mans a panel beater he straightens cars fairly often. Unless its completely mangled they dont change it they just bend it straight, if its done properly its good as new
    The guy has sent me a report ill crop the picture and attach it soon. He lives in the ACT and the car is registered in NSW so he took it to the pits and they said it needs to get fixed. Also I have seen the picture and its at the end. The report states that it can be repaired and recommend some fabricators.

Cheers

Yoey
    Who Knowz Bro

Current build RA23

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

As asked, is it priced accordingly, and are you prepared to live with it? If the subframe is bent, what is the local panelling like? Not so much the bolt on stuff, more like the radiator support panels, inner wheel arches, strut towers etc. I would check to see if the top of the strut tower is aligned. If it is out of whack there, then it isn't just the end which is bent.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

[QUOTE=Toy_JDM;1554494]The guy has sent me a report ill crop the picture and attach it soon. He lives in the ACT and the car is registered in NSW so he took it to the pits and they said it needs to get fixed. Also I have seen the picture and its at the end. The report states that it can be repaired and recommend some fabricators.

It appears that the vehicle has run over a fixed object and in the process has deform the chassis rail, the floor appears not to have been affected and is structurally sound. Repairs Required

4. The damaged chassis rail needs to be removed (by drilling out the spot welds) and replaced with a better one either from another vehicle or a brand new one. Fabricating a chassis can be done with the right facilities. Repairs can be performed by a suitable panel beater.

What do you guys think

Cheers

Yoey
    Who Knowz Bro

Current build RA23

Half the unibody/monocoque cars on the road have something like that or worse from using it as a jacking point instead of the sill, mistaking it as a substantial part of the chassis instead of just the floor stiffener!!(licensed bit of exaggeration)
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Hi,

I'm not a panel beater, but as its under the car not as a big a job as I think every one thought, as I think every one thought it was the front rails, but in saying that if you were to remove it & repair or replace it, it would be a big job as i'm sure that part of the rail extends down a fair way towards the Rear of the car ...

Its not ideal but its probably not that uncommon damage that mainly older cars have had happen to them over the years ..

I'm curious though as you say its at the end ?? but the picture shows it half way under the car ..

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post
    Hi,

I'm not a panel beater, but as its under the car not as a big a job as I think every one thought, as I think every one thought it was the front rails, but in saying that if you were to remove it & repair or replace it, it would be a big job as i'm sure that part of the rail extends down a fair way towards the Rear of the car ...

Its not ideal but its probably not that uncommon damage that mainly older cars have had happen to them over the years ..

I'm curious though as you say its at the end ?? but the picture shows it half way under the car ..
    Its located under the passenger door just under the front seat bolts are.
    Last edited by Toy_JDM; 15-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Who Knowz Bro

Current build RA23

Hi, I could see roughly where it was, that was why I questioned your "I have seen the picture & its at the end"

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

That's not from impact, that's from using it as a jacking point (as identified by allencr). I have seen many a Celica with damage like that, usually with sure signs of a jack having been used there. If that is considered a structural issue on that car, I would look into getting a different one. Unless of course this particular car has zero rust and no impact damage otherwise, plus a mint interior and is priced cheap as... then it could be worth repairing.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

I've had a few cars with similar damage pass roadworthies in qld without any problem, as everyone said it gets used as a jack point and it's not made for that purpose. In saying that I tend to avoid any cars with this damage now as It just shows a general lack of looking after the vehicle properly.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

It's from an impact, looks nothing like a jack's pad that leaves a distinctive mark, much shorter with abrupt marks and it wouldn't push in the center.
    Isn't it all dependent on that inspection guy of yours being a bitch & won't most just blow it off as nothing special to be concerned with?

Removing & installing another, even if available, is a real PITA, so just covering with another similar or fabbed channel is probably easiest, drilling access holes in the floor to punch it out after inserting a bar inside it to spread the pounding is another PITA.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!