Thread: Ra29gt rear brakes

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Ra29gt rear brakes

Hello. Could anyone tell me if the RA29GT model came with drum rear brakes as standard?
    Also would changing a left hand drive car to right hand drive be much hassle? I realize the dash would be a prob, but would the general swap over to the steering box steering wheel etc etc be very difficult?
    Thanks.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Ra29gt rear brakes

the 1st celicas to come with disc brake rears were the ra40 series celicas ,every other model before were drums

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I suspect the steering swap would be painful.

Pitman box and arm, drag link, idler arm and I'm not sure the mounts are identical on both sides of the car. You'll need to get some fairly strong mounting points engineered if you like to steer. Parts would be easy enough to get.

Then cut holes in your firewall, create mounting points for the steering column and pedal box, weld up old holes in the firewall. POssibly change things like wiper motor locations. Ditch boxy bench seat USDM bumpers.

Buy a 28 and drop an 18rg in or import a JDM 28. either of these will be less hassle and money than a correctly engineered steering conversion.

Dash would probably be less of a problem than sorting your steering geometry properly.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thanks for all the info and advice.