Thread: Column shift box for a 4A engine

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Column shift box for a 4A engine

Hi toymodders.
    I have an old Morris Oxford ute that could do with a bit of an upgrade, and having a bunch of corolla driveline parts under the house leads to the logical conclusion that I should use a 4A. The sticking point, however, is that the morris uses a column change, and I don't want to cut up the floor to fit a standard T50, so does anyone know of a column change gearbox that could bolt to the 4A?
    From what I can find no A series engine came with a column shift box, but are there any hiace/ hilux engines, for example, that have a similar bolt pattern to the a series engines? Or even a column change box that will bolt up using a 4A to w box adapter kit?

Craig

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

Default Re: Column shift box for a 4A engine

craig, have a look at the linkages on some of the column shift vans. You'll find that there is a "conventional" gearbox under all that crap - if you can modify & retrofit the linkages into your morris, you should be able to use your t50 box

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

One, possibly overly complicated and expensive, way of doing it would be taking a linkage shift G52 box out of a Hiace (probably many other models that got similar boxes) then fitting a custom bellhousing that mates a 4A to W58 (from what I have read and seen W5* boxes and G5* boxes are the same, just with different mounting and shifter setups), bolt it together and adapt your linkages to suit.

I have no hands on experience with the above, just considered it for a old school wagon build.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Just put a floor shift in it.... if you were that worried about originality.. you wouldnt be putting a Toyota Motor in it... you are making a rod for your own back....

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

OR........ you might be able to make an adapter plate so you can use your transmission with the "A" engine.....
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

No syncro on first .. fifty year old shift linkages.. and marginal strength to begin with...

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

how about using a auto box off an ae71, that should be real easy to adapt to your current shifter