Thread: Help identifying RA23 RA28 front body wiring loom plugs

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Help identifying RA23 RA28 front body wiring loom plugs

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting my RA28 back together and was looking for some help to identify a couple of wires and plugs on my front body loom. I'm looking to give the loom a bit of a trim and tidy up.

The piece of loom in question is the piece that runs from guard to guard, around the front of the vehicle and includes the main power wire, head lights, turn signals etc and looks like this.

I'm ok with most of the plugs and know where they go. For instance the ones on the end plug into the main body loom that come out of the inner guards and the headlights and turn signals etc are all pretty easy to work out. However it's been a long time since the 18rc got binned and I unfortunately didn't label the wires...rookie move I know.

1. Apologies for the blurry picture but the first set of wires I have after the main plugs on the drivers hand side are these

If I recall correctly and based on some wiring diagrams I'm looking at these go to the original coil.

2. The next part of the loom has three sections / wires coming out of it. The first is this one.

Now from what I can work out this is an earth wire???? But could someone please confirm that for me?

3. The next is a black wire with a white stripe and single pin plug

I've got no clue what this was for!

4. Moving on, the following two plugs are what I believe to be the washer bottle (The two blue wires) and the headlight relay plug (I gather there is some form of relay this plugs into that's bolted onto the inner guard)

5. Going down the loom I have 3 plugs and a half ring terminal that look like this (forth plug is missing in that photo)

I'm assuming at the moment that these were all connected to the dirty 18RC that no longer resides in the bay

6. Now on the other end of the loom on the passenger side near the power wires I have these two fuses

Does anyone know what these are for?

7. Moving up the loom towards the guard I have this plug which I'm fairly sure is where the old voltage regulator plugged into. Not sure why it's only got two wires? I thought it should have had more

8. Around that area I also have this green plug

Again no clue what this used to go to!?

9. In addition just above that in that picture you can see the base of a white plug. It simply plugs into another white plug that loops around into the loom. No clue why there is a plug there!! Any help appreciated.

10. Last of all I have this sheathed wire and plug

I'm thinking this must have connected to the 18RC and been perhaps an oil pressure switch wire?

If someone has a couple of close up pictures of their inner guards and where all this plugs up to that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm most interested to know what the bare white and black striped wire is and whether or not it's an earth. I figure if the rest of them weren't plugged in to anything after my conversion then they should be good for the chop.

Thanks

stidnam

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

Default Re: Help identifying RA23 RA28 front body wiring loom plugs

Hi
    2. White and black wire is a ground
    4. Nailed it, washer bottle and headlight relay (this can be plugged in backwards)
    10. Sheathed wire runs to the starter

I don't know what those fuses are but soon to pull my loom apart so i will let you know

Cheers cam
    SR20DET TA23

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Fuses are for the option of the amp gauge, the sheaved wire I thought was temp sensor?
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Both fuses are for the amp gauge? good to know
    Might be different TA/RA23, what colour wire is under that sheathed wire?
    SR20DET TA23

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Well I've now stripped back the loom to reveal all the wires.

A fair few plugs and wires appear to be redundant based on elimination.

Interesting that the white/black earth wire on the drivers side ran across to a two pin plug on the passenger side along with the black/white wire found in picture 3. This then ran into the plug with the wires that lead to the fuses and then on into the guard. Now the only thing I can work out that that black/white wire in picture 3 is is for the AC compressor (Which my car originally had). Could the fuses have been for that? Either way they aren't going back into the new loom

Caam - Do you have the fuses in your loom?

I don't think I have an amp gauge in my car. Just the battery light.

The sheathed wire is yellow/green and I believe it's for water temp.

I'm using after market gauges and with the 1jz a lot of the wiring looks like it can go. I really only need power, indicators, side lamps, headlight earths, washer and horns plus a couple of others.

I've purchased the bits and pieces to put one of these together for my head lights and thermo fans

Bussman Fuse/Relay Box (from WagonGear) & install in the WJ - Offroad Passport Community Forum

Now just to purchase all the wire I need.

If anyone is interested. These guys sell all the plugs you'd need to match the original loom including the 17 pin 3mm QC plug and pins for the drivers side loom. Great guys to deal with and quick delivery.

Jay Dee Auto Cables Pty Ltd - Home

I too have the fuses and if they are ment for the amp gauge as ra_28 says, they would be in every loom regardless of if your car had the gauge or not
    and yeah yellow/green if your water temp wire

Thats one neat little relay box
    SR20DET TA23