Thread: 2JZGTE crankwalk and clutches

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default 2JZGTE crankwalk and clutches

Hey fellas, looking at putting a R154 behind my 2JZ but I have a few questions about clutches...
    I have a ACT pressure plate here that has a fuck load of clamp force, needs a rebuild but I was planning on sending it to direct clutch in Brisbane, getting them to rebuild it and supply a suitable disk for a couple of hundred.

Problem is that there are a heap of people on various Supra forums who have had crank walk issues and they seem to blame heavy single plate clutches.
    Mine is a JZS147 motor that's been behind an auto so the thrust bearings should be sweet but I don't want to fuck it through ignorance - my other options are to run a stock clutch or keep saving for another few months and get a twin plate (dont want tbh)

Anyone care to spread some light on the issue?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 2JZGTE crankwalk and clutches

Isnt it only a problem when first starting the engine with the clutch in, if your crank over the engine in nuetral and then put in gear its not an issue??

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

I'm not 100% on it, I know a lot of people in the USA disable the clutch start switch but whether or not that fixes it....

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I'm thinking back a bit to some old british sh!t where this was a problem when fitting a HD clutch for racing but this used to be an issue when the engine got a bit worn and the thrust bearings of the day aint what they are now, you'd notice "Crank walk" when you started throwing belts. I don't really see that you'll have much of an issue as the pressure plate that you're using is much the same as the "Exceedy super tuff" and "4terrain" clutches that I've been using in the 1UZ Hilux conversions. Given like the UZs your engine is/was auto thrust bearing wear will be non existent and the JZ bottom end is quite robust. Hell after 50000km in mine with a heavy duty off road clutch I'm having no problems but if mine had a clutch switch for starting I'd disconnect the damn thing as they annoy the hell out of me.

Any how by the time it did become a problem the engine would probably be due for some "freshening" in any case
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale