Thread: Whats wrong with my TA22?

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

Default Whats wrong with my TA22?

ok so for a while ive had bad fuel economy from the 2T, ive been driving it pretty well and i'd be lucky if i get 300km's to the tank, so today i had a look at my leads, took them off the plugs, and i noticed they were all oily, i looked inside there was oil all around the plugs, all four of em! So is this normal? could this be wats wrong wtih my fuel consumption?

any help would be appreciated

Cheers Dino
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: Whats wrong with my TA22?

Well the first obvious step would be to fix the oil leak since this is a fairly decent problem then work from there. This will mean you need a new cam cover gasket or goop or whatever. Fix that then see how it goes as it will definately be one less thing that COULD cause you problems. IMO it could definately affect spark and cause worse performance but i dont know about fuel economy being directly affected.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by suss_slide
    ok so for a while ive had bad fuel economy from the 2T, ive been driving it pretty well and i'd be lucky if i get 300km's to the tank, so today i had a look at my leads, took them off the plugs, and i noticed they were all oily, i looked inside there was oil all around the plugs, all four of em! So is this normal? could this be wats wrong wtih my fuel consumption?

any help would be appreciated

Cheers Dino
    prob find the oil is that was spilt when its been topped up with oil etc! clean out the tubes with a screw driver with a cloth on the end and hold the cloth as you do it.
    is it missfiring? then it might be from crap in the tubes.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

It's a fairly common problem on these engines, the cam cover gasket leaks around the spark plug tubes and they fill up with oil. It used to happen on my old TA22 and it caused a very noticeable drop in power, and I assume a corresponding drop in fuel economy (not that I ever paid much attention, fuel was cheap in those days). I never fixed the leak though, I just periodically drained the tubes by removing the spark plugs.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

as above. not uncommon
    there are 4 circular seals around the cam box/rocker cover - these will have perished/worn and will be leaking........seal em up if you can with some sealant, or, get some new ones.
    make sure the rocker cover box is tightened down firm via the 4 nuts on the outside too.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Check your plugs. If they are black, or you have black soot on your back bumper above the exhaust, time for a tune up. Try new plugs, points, condensor, leads, dizzy cap, rotor button, run some carby cleaner through the carby, fix the oil leak, set the dwell angle on the dizzy(not the point gap, that is an innacurate and innefecient method of setting dwell), set ignition timing slightly extra advanced, THEN tune the carby. Tune the carby by setting idle, then turn the idle mixture screw clockwise till the revs start getting erratic. turn anticlockwise till smooth plus qtr turn, reset idle speed, and repeat. continue until it idles smooth just above erratic at correct idle rpm.

Also check all hoses for fuel leaks, change oil to correct weight (Penrite HPR50 or 60 is good for old engines), change oil, air and fuel filters etc etc. Also check tyre pressure and maintain decent pressure (I try for 34-40psi in standardish tyres depending on application, no lower though).

Also check for exhaust leaks, as these can affect pretty badly the running and therefore economy of early carby engines. You shouldnt have pollution gear to worry about, so thats fortunate. Also check choke operation, if its staying on, then you will have shitty performance and economy. Another thing that can affect it is intake leaks. Once again this will make it run like shit.

A good running 2T which is tuned correctly should be able to get very good fuel economy even when thrashed (the 18RC in my RA40 gets 10L/100kms when thrashed around town)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.