Thread: 3rz to r154 help

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3rz to r154 help

Hey guys have a few questions,

first of all I have bought a r154 to put behind my 3rz I was told it was out of a 7mgte model now here are my dramas, Input length I keep reading that it should be a long input shaft with mearsurements from 180-190mm I have mearsured this one several times and from the face of the gearbox to end of shaft its 160mm and the bellhousing is 173mm roughly, I have measured my w series bell housing at roughly the same as the alleged 7m would anyone have a mearsurement for a 2trfe bell housing? have been searching for ages and all I find is that it needs a spacer with no more useful information.

Other question is with the 2trfe bell housing can i still use 3rz clutch/flywheel setup? or am I better off getting hold of a longer input shaft and using a adapter plate and keeping the 3rz bell housing?

thanks guys

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 3rz to r154 help

Hi
    I have a 2 tr bell housing , it's buried but I will see if I can measure it for you
    Dave

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks mate but pretty sure it's a r155 and I got screwed over suppose the only good thing is I got it cheap so haven't lost a lot of money just need to find out if I can change first gear in It for a better ratio.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

A TGN16 Hilux is going to be your best friend here as they have the R150 box behind the 2TR engine. They're the best source of RWD R series boxes if you don't have the budget for a 154. Most if not all Hiluxes from my experience have a bellhousing height of 170mm. Keep in mind I was putting 1UZs in them so finding a bell for that application with the correct height for reliable clutch operation was a bit of a challenge (not any more, get them out of Thailand). So 2006 on Hilux 2.7 rwd in the wreckers is what you need to hunt for Toyota part no 31111-0K070 I remember Toyota doing the 1KZ diesel bellhousings for around $450 ex GST new (ex Japan) but plugging that part no into amayama gives a price of $236.50AUD from the UAE. Freight might be a killer tho.

As for gear ratios if it is an R series box you can fit the R154 gear set, R150 and 151 have the same ratios aside from first and second gear which in the 151 is shorter, 154 is the "Close ratio set" with a nice tall 5th gear, 155 being US Tacoma RWD only so a bit of an orphan here Toyota R transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale