Thread: Yokohama A.drive R1 AR01 Review

Forum Member Automotive Encyclopaedia motorculture's Avatar

Default Yokohama A.drive R1 AR01 Review

Affordable Handling Upgrade

The A.driveR1 is Yokohama's entry level low profile sports performance tyre and is surprisingly good for the low price.

Upgrade your car's performance, especially if you upgrade its wheels. The "R1" is an aggressive, stylish low profile tyre which gives good value performance. If your car is powerful and gets unintended wheel spin, maybe this tyre will solve the problem. It suits hot hatches, turbo cars and some larger sports sedans.

A.driveR1 Technical Tyre Features

Large Tread Blocks and Square Shoulders

Large tread blocks reduce tread block squirm and distortion so cornering is better and handling sharper. Square shoulders help the car change direction quickly.

Directional Tread Design and Continuous Centre Rib

The directional tread design has large tread blocks and square shoulders to assist cornering. The continuous centre rib helps straight line stability and gives an "on centre" feel.

Customer Review

Jake –

Just ran the A.driveR1's at Calder Parks Drift Attack on the weekend and what an insane Tyre! First place finish for the event and was crowned to have the biggest tyre smoke out of the whole field of Drift cars. The tyres were being fried in 3rd Gear for the whole event and never delaminated once. Awesome Tyre and I’ll be sure to run them again for my next drift comp! YOKOHAMA's ROCK!

For more information, click here
    Automotive social media http://motorculture.com.au or call us on 02 9418 9008

For some daily car culture check out http://zengarage.com.au/

Junior Member Conversion King

Default Re: Yokohama A.drive R1 AR01 Review

I had these on my daily AWD for a few years, bought them with 98% tread on mint factory rims, also green caps for some sort of mixture of nitrogen filling. 215/45R17's (factory tyre size)

They are very quiet and comfy tyres, and whilst performance "orientated", I could still get them to slip rather easily compared to the previous set of Potenza RE001's.

The biggest advantage though is that these tyres took me over 50,000kms over anything I threw at them, a few dirt roads, daily city driving and lots of highway driving. Never really "wore out" per se. Felt exactly the same as the day I got them.

Great for a grand tourer, not so great for anything that you want to throw sideways into a corner. On an AWD these understeered quite a bit, especially in the wet, but was still controllable.

The A Drive R1's to date have been my best value performing tyres, UTQG of 300. Once I finally hit the tread marks I replaced them with a set of Potenza S001's which are UTQG of 280 but perform 200% better in all conditions, but come at a price.
    Last edited by maj; 05-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Autodub - 1987 AW11 G-Limited, Dark Blue Mica 4AGZE T-Top 4EAT