Thread: cranshaft damage

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

Default cranshaft damage

how's it going

i'm just about to go pull the sump of my 3s-ge that has the begining's of a spun bearing. once i get the big end off. what should i be looking for on the crankshaft damage wise?

should i be looking out for scratches and marks.....or will be be more of a warped type of damage. will it be noticeable or something that will have to be tested at a machining place?

and what would happen if i just put a new set of bearings straight over the top with out getting the crankshaft machined?

just becuase i've been through a spun bearing before, and it was alot louder then this and the car ran like crap. where this time its nowhere near as loud and the car still seems to go quite nicely?
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

Default Re: cranshaft damage

Generally you will notice scoring on the crank where the worn bearing is rubbing. I'd stop driving it soon You might only be getting slight noise now but it will get worse.

You should machine the crankshaft if it is scored or marked, by the sounds of it there will be a bit of damage... assuming it's the crankshaft

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

i seen heaps of engines that have had just the bearings replaced woth no machining. ive done it to a bunch of LS1's and never had a drama.

there will be score marks on teh crank that will be a good indication of the damage. if you get onto it early then you may be ok.

the other thing to think bout is the rods. they may be out of round, caused by the bearing knocking round. this is what happened to my engine. i needed to have the rods, crank machined and installed with 10thou oversize bearings. but i did this cause i wanted it done right, due to large amounts of thrash work the engine will cop.

you should be right, but its up to you. machine work = $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

My 3sgte had spun a bearing, and the crank was useless.. It didn't look too bad to me, but the engine machiner said no way to machine it down they would have to remove too much from it.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

well i got the big end bearing off and to me the bearing doesnt look worn at all...there's a bit of grey discoloration splatted on the inside and thats about it.

here's a photo
    [IMG][/IMG]
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

dude. WTF are those score marks going across the face of the journal. they shouldnt be there???

that might be cause in itself to get the crank machined
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

WTF im with slide hope that is just a reflection of the con rod thread on the crank or you will need to get that fixed !

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

I agree, it appears to be the thread reflection from the light of the flash.
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

Corolla Collecter Backyard Mechanic Trent-KE30's Avatar

We get rods in all the time that has been spun, the bearing will be welded into the rod and there useless, that pic, looks as though the bearing as become quite hot and scored the outside of the journel, i'd be getting that crank ground asap, and those rods as well,

Trent
    1977 Toyota Corolla KE30 1GGTE http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...post7372821977

1987 Ford Falcon XF S Pac

yeah that ring of "crud" wipes off by it it fairly rough underneath it. if you run your fingernail over it you can feel it, then its smooth in the center.....and rough again on the other side.

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

Bummer Machining time, or pick up another crank