Thread: 1986 corona ST-141 2S-C Aisan carb

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1986 corona ST-141 2S-C Aisan carb

Hi guys,
    I've gone and bought a very cheap corona and am of course suffering because of it.

originally the car would start fine, but put your foot down and it would sort of fall flat on it's face..no power.
    I looked at the carb and found one of the butterflys (the one connected to the electric choke?) was stuck open.

I traced this down to a linkage that had sort of fallen off it's perch and was jammed , jamming the butterfly open.
    WHOOPEE i thought, and i pushed it back to the correct place, started the car and hey presto revving up fine.

Drove a little way and again it locked itself open.

so, i figured, if i can stop it from opening too far, i may be able to drive home at a steady pace. (the car is in Chilton and im from Melbourne)

I did a bit of a dodgy and cut the wire to the electric choke and that solved the problem. drove some way then the temperature shot up. ..checked all the cooling bits and that seems ok. It makes sense that in messing with the carb i've stuffed up the air fuel or the vac advance or something and im now perhaps running lean or with bad timing.... I think......

Im very familiar with older cars (1986 in my mind is modern) I have rebuilt my 69 triumph spitfire engine and put twin webers on it and it runs fantastic, but all this pollution gear and chokes and what looks like around 5 vaccum advance mechanisms and a gazzillion tubes and hoses running all over the place is doing my head in.

I've googled the carb and found lots of people HATING on the Aisan carb. WELL I HATE IT TOO!!

I guess what im here to ask is, is there a different carb i can put on this car without too much hassle?

OR, would anyone have a link that shows the hose locations and accelerator linkage setup or something, as i'm completely in the dark as to what's supposed to be where or even if i'm missing some parts.

OR is there a mod where i can remove the emissions stuff and choke and hoopla and run the engine in a simpler way until i get home.

It's nice to have a corona, but i probably should have chosen a lot wiser....it does however have a good body........

any input is very much appreciated.

cheers.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic patrickleslie's Avatar

Default Re: 1986 corona ST-141 2S-C Aisan carb

http://ma61celicasupra.tumblr.com/po...mus-on-toymods

This is off my SA63, should be the same as your ST141

and this is a blow up diagram of the SA63 carb which should also be the same (I can't remember where I found this image, sorry)

Hope that helps

EDIT: fixed LQ pics with HQ ones