Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have this harmonic balancer bolt giving me tremendous amounts of grief...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default I have this harmonic balancer bolt giving me tremendous amounts of grief...

So... I have this harmonic balancer bolt giving me tremendous amounts of grief... We tried putting the car in gear, Handbreak on, Block behind the wheels, Foot on break and a pole slipped over the break-out bar I have, Still didn't budge. It started climbing the rock! And we bent the pole over the break-out bar...

Any Idea's how I remove the damn thing!?
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

Default Re: I have this harmonic balancer bolt giving me tremendous amounts of grief...

Use a impact socket and a strong T bar and lock it against the rotation of the engine, make sure it is secure and the give the starter motor a flick over, it just needs a sharp jolt to initialy get the bolt moving
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default Re: I have this harmonic balancer bolt giving me tremendous amounts of grief...

Two ways;
    Rattle gun
    Spanner on bolt, get a length of pipe, put on spanner vertically and strike with a big hammer. Identical to using the starter motor yet more powerful and your not going to fuck anything.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Ive had to stoop to hitting the starter before with the breaker bar striking the gargage floor. It worked, although was kinda risky and stupid.

We tried a big bar over the break-out bar. It just started bending and my break-out bar also started flexing. It's not a small break-out bar either...

My car is out on the road so No power points and I don't wanna pull the whole front end off to get a rattle gun in there... I suppose I'm being fussy but I have never had so much trouble with this, I usually just put the car in gear and then I can crack it by hand. This is ridiculous. O__o
    Too many cars

Not keen on starting it with tools attached! Hehe.

Although I'm getting close to resorting to that!
    Too many cars

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

When you do get it off, clean all rust from the threads, crank and pulley and give all the threads and mating surfaces a good coat of nickel based anti-seize.

I used a breaker bar first time on my 4AGE, now I just use the battery rattle gun and the pulley basically falls off the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusEstevez View Post
    We tried a big bar over the break-out bar. It just started bending and my break-out bar also started flexing. It's not a small break-out bar either...

My car is out on the road so No power points and I don't wanna pull the whole front end off to get a rattle gun in there... I suppose I'm being fussy but I have never had so much trouble with this, I usually just put the car in gear and then I can crack it by hand. This is ridiculous. O__o

Make that with a spare spanner and pipe

I'll look into making a tool something like that tomorrow.

Yeah I am thoroughly cleaning everything so I won't miss the crank shaft or threads I'm trying to make everything relatively spotless, Ready for AllJapanDay.
    I have been wondering if the last owner perhaps used locktite?
    Too many cars

He is a fucking asshole if he has, your going to need some heat to melt the stuff. You will kill the front main so buy one of those too.

I've got a full gasket kit! I intend on replacing everything on the front of the engine so it's no worry I'll try heating it like you said actually, I hadn't thought of that.
    Too many cars

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I cranked a 2j crank pulley bolt with a breaker bar and pipe, + starter - and they're meant to have one of the tightest factory bolts (over 300nm from memory?)

I'd suggest a shit load of Inox, reasonable heat application, some more inox, some more heat, and then the above methods... otherwise flat tow to somewhere you can get a big fuckoff rattle gun in there
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

At my dads house I could, He only lives 7 minutes away. But I don't want to have to remove the headlights, Grill, Bezels, Bumper and then radiator to get to the bolt...

I will try the heat method for sure though! I'll get my dads portable blow torch onto it.
    Too many cars

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

and if it still wont come loose after that then maybe try Ice the bolt before cracking it, just to shrink it a tiny margin. I've had success with possible snapped cross threaded bolts before which Im sure would have snapped had I not cooled them off. They can get real hot when turning them out. I had one on my moto where the dick who assembled it at the dealer rattle gunned the foot pegs on crossed up and I had to have a helicoil fitted.

I hate when when people use rattle guns carelessly... Especially if it's a tyre shop. They should be frikken pro's! When I go get my dads blowtorch I planned on crabbing the shock freeze stuff too That shits awesome! But I have only ever used it on small rusted bolts.
    Too many cars