Thread: Ta22 original gearbox

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Ta22 original gearbox

Hi guys i was wondering has anybody ever tried to use the W58 gearbox into the original 2TB engine?? i know it sounds weird but iv acquired the W58 gearbox now and if i read it correctly the original should be the W50 gearbox correct? just wanted to know if i could swap over the 2 gearboxes without any moddifications as i still need the box for the new engine later once iv saved up enough cash lol.

its just simply cos i dont like the was it shifts.

Ta

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: Ta22 original gearbox

Original TA22 gearbox is a T50, the RA28 had the W50 which had a 18R motor so the bellhousing wont fit to the 2TB without some mods. The bellhousing you are looking for to make it all work is either a 3TGTE one (good luck finding one) or a 1GGE/1GGTE/1GGZE which should be easier to locate. The difference between the two is that the clutch fork and slave cylinder is on the drivers side for the 3TGTE bellhousing and on the passengers side for the 1G bellhousings. The starter is on the passengers side for both types.

If you are not worried about minor chop chop of your floor pan near the shifter area (shifter is further back) you can get a J160 speed from a Lexus IS200 that will bolt onto the back of your 2TB as they have a 1GFE motor.

Here is one for 99 pence . It looks like the going price in the UK is about 150 pounds.

Good luck
    Last edited by stidnam; 30-01-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Ta22 original gearbox

Omg im such an idiot sorry i totally forgot about the T50 gearbox. Nah in that case im going to leave it for now thanks for the clarifying