Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2JZGTE VVTi Immobiliser

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZGTE VVTi Immobiliser

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    3sgte - I could be wrong in this application but from what I have seen the OBD2 port comes off the body ECU of the vehicle, which communicates with the engine ECU through an Multiplex bus. If they only have the engine ECU chances are they won't have the ability to interrogate the OBD2.

How is the immobiliser implemented in the 97LS? (UCF20/1 I presume?) I'm curious how they differ from the ones "built into the ECM" which I'd presume to be the key tranponder types?
    Mos.
    I'll do what I can to answer...

Here is an older version of what I am familiar with:

This doesn't seem to reflect a system that uses the CAN protocol for communications. Vehicles that use CAN for diagnostic communication are pretty new. If CAN communication is used, then things get a bit more complex.

My WAG is that "SDL" (from illustration) stands for serial data link. (emphasis on guess)

For the LS, both are UCF 20, There was the 1995-1997 version and the version after the update for 1998 that saw discharge lights and VVT come on the 1UZ. It (1997 version) had a separate "TRANSPONDER KEY COMPUTER" which communicated with the key via a transponder key coil.

The 1998 version had the immobiliser function built into the ECM. (all this is US spec, YMMV)

Both versions use ignition key mounted transponders.
    Basically, the part which "remembers" the key is different.

Also, some newer models have yet another different version, that doesn't even include those that have "Smart keys"

As for the OP, if you have more info about the vehicle the motor came out of, it might be helpful. Now that I think about it, I don't remember US/Canadian supras having immobilisers fitted STD. Is there a separate little plastic ECU that serves as the immobiliser for your application?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    They're locally delivered, right?
    Sideshow was saying jap imports don't have them... It is my understanding that there is a requirement for all locally delivered cars to be fitted with immobilisers - it's more than plausible that JDM vehicle don't have them fitted, and given people's comments it looks this way.
    Correct, and I'll buy that, will be nice and quiet and read on now

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

the laws are pretty tough if japan

if u get caught stealing the punishment is big not like in this country where it sux

so car theft in japan is not very big

only in usa and here they sometimes have rules where the car needs to have an imobiliser installed for it to be allowed to be sold here

anyway every immobiliser i have seen does not allow the engine to start

i might be wrong but i recon the prob might be something else and not the immob iliser