Thread: from auto to manual?

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

Default from auto to manual?

i might be getting a ke30 soon but its an automatic, eventually im gonna put a 5k 5 speed in. i was jsut wondering how hard it will be for me to swap it to a manual, and if there was anything a little harder to do i.e. weld or anything like that?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: from auto to manual?

Quote Originally Posted by suss_slide
    i might be getting a ke30 soon but its an automatic, eventually im gonna put a 5k 5 speed in. i was jsut wondering how hard it will be for me to swap it to a manual, and if there was anything a little harder to do i.e. weld or anything like that?
    about the only welds will be the tube that the clutch cable goes into on the firewall (if it is not present) and probably drill the firewall out there too...

and you may need to cut a new hole in the transtunnel for the shifter.

as the KE30's were often traumatics, you might want to check that the rear cross-member fits, or else grab a donor one...
    and tailshaft..... different (iirc)

other than that, straightforward.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

KE30 was toyota auto(2 speed I think), KE55 was holden tri-matic
    You need the pedals and clutch cable from a manual car. And the manual gearbox crossmember, and maybe the tailshaft as said above.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

You'd probably need to get a spigot bearing to go in the crank too.. and short the neutral start switch I'd presume
    I am the sun

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Rochester
    KE30 was toyota auto(2 speed I think), KE55 was holden tri-matic
    You need the pedals and clutch cable from a manual car. And the manual gearbox crossmember, and maybe the tailshaft as said above.
    oh, sorry, i was a bit fuzzy on that, i thought i had seeen both 2 and 3 speeds in KE20... i think there are some cross-overs between all models (ie front leaf suspension on KE20).

but yeah.. only welding is the clutch cable tube.. i used a chunk of alloy loosely stuck there for a while, but welded one in when i could be bothered.. you could probably even just tack weld it in there... it is needed for the adjustor. you will see when you look at a manual version.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

dont forget the flywheel, and the flywheel to crank bolts. The flex plate bolts are half a centimetre shorter and wont thread in far enough into the crank. Flywheel bolts are often overlooked with auto to manual conversions. From memory the hole in the trans tunnel is in the same spot. If not, your centre console may be out of place too.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I'm going down the same route, most likely 5k as it is a straighter swap than say, a 2T-G that I was originally thinking. Also I have a KE30, and it is a three speed traumatic as well. Lovely. Can anyone prepare a straightforward list of parts/instructions?

Not sure exactly what is meant about shorting neutral start switch, but am I right in assuming this involves bypassing the need to have trans in park or neutral to start?

*Gearbox
    *Interior gadgetry (console, pedals etc)
    *Shifter
    *Speedo cable?
    *Clutch cable
    *Flywheel
    *Tailshaft
    *Manual crossmember

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Simply a bit of wire going between the pins for the neutral start switch on the cable that goes to the gearbox. You can use this as a hidden kill switch to stop an unwanted person starting your car.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.