Thread: A/C not working in my JZX90 or JZX91

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default A/C not working in my JZX90 or JZX91

Hey Everyone

I have a JZX90 with a 2JZ-GTE conversion, my wife has a JZX91 with the stock 2JZ-GE and the A/C doesn't work in either of them
    In both cars, I can press the A/C button on the dash, and the Revs will go up, but the compressor mag clutch won't engage.

In both cars, if I ground the relay for the mag clutch in the engine bay, the mag clutch will engage and the A/C will start blowing cool cool air.

In my JZX90, I tried to ground the relay from the loom near the ecu and I can hear it clicking so the wiring from the relay to the ecu is fine.

The mag clutch relay should be grounded within the ECU when I press the A/C but that's not happening apparently.

Anyone have any ideas where else I should be looking for the issue ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by SirLagz; 04-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: A/C not working in my JZX90 or JZX91

In conversions sometimes the polarity in the triggers could be different between ecus
    There is also a speed sensor in the compressor

Sometimes there is a way to get codes flashing for the ac

Thanks for the reply

Would you have any idea how to get the codes for the ecu ?
    Also, the JZX91 is a stock 2JZ-GE that came with the car so there's no issue of different ECUs there...

The speed sensor isn't hooked up in the JZX90 but that shouldn't stop anything should it ?

The 91 I recon something is stuffed
    Like no gas or a sensor faulty
    Not sure how to get codes

With the 90 u have to wire it like factory was not like the 2jzgte is
    So go over the wiring and see how it's like factory

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

JZX91 --> Pressure Switch Faulty, try bypassing/shorting them
    or Compressor Lock-up Sensor (if fitted) Probably faulty, cannot be shorted needs replacement... Do not go removing it if system is filled with refrigerant.

2jz-gte converted car.... Go through the whole Circuit, from start to finish, it all depends how the person who converted it wired it up.

Check if the A/C Pin on the ECU gets voltage when the A/C is Turned on, the JZX90 would normally send Earth from the Climate Control unit to the ECU,
    so a Relay (And Possibly other components) need to be added in order to feed a Power Signal to the 2jz-gte ECU.

- Bypass pressure Sensors to rule out faults.

- Could be faulty Lock-up Sensor (or not wired in) (If jzx90 Cimate control unit requires that signal in order to engage the A/C Trigger to the ECU)
    Last edited by Z2TT; 05-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks for that info.
    Where is the pressure switch ? What's it look like ?
    I'm not too familiar with the A/C system unfortunately.

Also I just remembered that on my JZX90, when I turn the AC on without shorting the mag clutch, then it does the same thing as my JZX91, but when I do short it out, the A/C light starts flashing and the revs drop back to normal. Would that be because the speed sensor isn't hooked up ? or is something else buggered ?

Thanks for all the help guys !

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Pressure switches are on the Liquid Line (small black refrigerant line usually near strut towers) Some cars have one, some two. Some cars have it on the Receiver/drier (Canister near bumper/grille), wiring diagram may help to know which pins to short if it is a Dual Pressure Switch.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out tomorrow when I have light. Hopefully it's just that that's buggered up on the JZX91, at the moment I have a bodge job of a switch to ground the relay to force the A/C on for now lol...

not sure if anyone has asked yet but how certain are u that gas is in the systems

very veery common thing that happens as summer starts is car has not had air con used all thru winter
    u start using it heaps as summer starts and air shits itself mostly due to not used for ages during winter then suddenly gets overused in summer
    this usually means gas has leaked during winter or the sudden use has softened seals and gas leaked recently

so bypass pressure sensors and see if compressor turns on
    my jzx90 info is all in japanese so one day i need to do a course and understand what it means hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    not sure if anyone has asked yet but how certain are u that gas is in the systems

very veery common thing that happens as summer starts is car has not had air con used all thru winter
    u start using it heaps as summer starts and air shits itself mostly due to not used for ages during winter then suddenly gets overused in summer
    this usually means gas has leaked during winter or the sudden use has softened seals and gas leaked recently

so bypass pressure sensors and see if compressor turns on
    my jzx90 info is all in japanese so one day i need to do a course and understand what it means hehehe
    Definitely has gas, when AC relay engages air is cold.