Thread: Toyota 5R engine advise?? Toyota Coaster 76 petrol

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Toyota 5R engine advise?? Toyota Coaster 76 petrol

Hello Folks,

Just got a 76 petrol Toyota coaster with a 5R engine in it drove it from QLD to Vic and on the way the radiator got a hole in it and ive either done a head gasket or cracked head.

( engine still kicks over but huge pressure from radiator and wont start so i presume its one of the two)

Anyway its my first toyota and the old 5R seems to be hard to get a reco engine and parts etc. Any idea on what it would cost me
    to get a mechanic to rebuild the engine in it?

Has anyone done anything similar or been in a similar situation. I know everyone is gonna say "throw this engine in it etc" but my budget is not
    huge and I just wanna get the toyota coaster back on the road for now.

Your feedback and knowledge would be unreal!!!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Toyota 5R engine advise?? Toyota Coaster 76 petrol

Well the beuty about toyota is the interchangeability of parts. An 18R will bolt straight to the gearbox, and the engine brackets should fit on too. They are cheap and plentiful and parts are easy to come by. And i can almost garantee its cheaper than doing a complete rebuild on your 5R. And has more power too.

That is news to me that a 5R and 18R are interchangeable.
    The 5R did crack heads supposedly but I have never seen one, what I have experienced is many 5R have sat for a long time without coolant and then get started and driven and when hot both the head gaskets and the radiator let go around the same time.
    With my 1969 dyna I drove that from bundaberg to the gold coast and upon arrival the radiator was leaking, an engine flush and a new radiator the head gasket blew and after I replaced that as far as I know it is still going. It was because of the 5R engine that I now have stouts and they are a love hate engine, most hate them and others love them. Everything for a 5r can be brought new including complete engines and as the 5r are so simple to work on I would just remove the head and get it checked.
    If that is the coaster from tiaro I thought about it myself

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Call me out if im wrong, but any toyta engine family use the same bellhousing(so a bellhousing from a 7m will bilt to a 4m etc...). but diferent revisions of some engines included different engine bracket holes in the block. so as long as the brackets bolt to the block in the right place, then it should fit and the rest is simple. but if you are keen to rebuild the 5R (they are really simple) then give it a crack. rememeber they are used in forklifts so parts are pretty simple to get.

The 5r is basically unrelated to all other r engines, it's engine mounts are in different locations, it unlike the r 2r 3r and 12r dose not have a cast integral bell housing but a removable ring so it still fits to the earlier r series transmission and the pattern that the engine block has is not even remotely like an 18r and places such as dellow and castlemaine rod shop made adapter to fit 18r engine to the coaster dyna stouts early r series and later m series transmissions as were the more common holden conversion. The only other engine I understand bolts to the dyna coaster stout r and m transmission is the j and 2j diesel engines more commonly found in toyota bobcats, one would assume that the later m series transmission would fit an m series engine but I have found no evidence of this and the only engines I know of that are able to be made fit the later m series is the diesel b,h,l and y petrol engines, yet all these engines need the original toyota adapter rings. So to remove a 5r and think something else will just bolt in forget it as a expensive adapter kit will be needed or a 20r or 22r coaster five speed out of a later coaster and even they do not just bolt in as they yet again are a different series transmission
    Last edited by whysmees; 05-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.

The first image is of an early r transmission with a 5r to m series transmission adapter, note the locations of clutch slave cylinder. The early j diesel engine shared the early r series transmission and bolt pattern, the 2j diesel shares the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 5r and adapter ring. The r and m series trans are not an easy interchangeable item as the m series is all round larger and used on such as the first of h series diesels, which was replaced by a five speed such as in the second photo which had bell housing that allow it to fit b l and h diesel later model r and y engines and there is a version also that fits the 3rz out of more current model coaster bus.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by whysmees View Post

The first image is of an early r transmission with a 5r to m series transmission adapter, note the locations of clutch slave cylinder. The early j diesel engine shared the early r series transmission and bolt pattern, the 2j diesel shares the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 5r and adapter ring. The r and m series trans are not an easy interchangeable item as the m series is all round larger and used on such as the first of h series diesels, which was replaced by a five speed such as in the second photo which had bell housing that allow it to fit b l and h diesel later model r and y engines and there is a version also that fits the 3rz out of more current model coaster bus.
    This is good information as luckily the last pic shows the gearbox that is in the later vehicles with the 5r motor both air and non air pump head versions meaning the reason I sometimes see the 18rc engines in the coaster of late 70s and early 80s.

Im not saying its a big upgrade to the 18rc but I do find the 18r sohc smoother and easier to get parts for not to mention a tad more economical.
    My search now will be to find a bell-housing to suit the later R motor but what from?