Thread: Which Electric Fan + Shroud to Clear JZA70 Engine.

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Default Which Electric Fan + Shroud to Clear JZA70 Engine.

Hi,

I got a GZ20 Soarer with a 1JZ, so think of it as a JZA70 Bay.
    I'm replacing the Clutch fan with A electric fan.

I Do not want a off the shelf fan that only covers something like half the radiator, as I wan't to get a full coverage for the best air draw, It is important as I'm running
    A/C a swell, I need good airflow and to cover as much as the radiator. The rad is about 65cm x 35cm

So here is a Picture of how the bay looks like, Ignore the Clutch fan shroud hanging there. As you see I'm going to be using the factory radiator.

EL/AU Thermo fans will hit the Throttle body Pipe.

My Question is, Which cars have Factory thermo fan with a decent coverage of their shroud..... but with the fan offset to the left so it does not hit my Throttle body.

Thanks.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Which Electric Fan + Shroud to Clear JZA70 Engine.

Why change the Viscous fan & shroud as they are a viscous coupling so will only really couple up hard if the temps really increase & you need it to draw plenty of air, in my opinion you will be hard pressed to get a electric fan do draw similar air flow ..

But if you are determined to run a electric one i would try & get a electric fan to fit inside the factory shroud you have pictured or i saw a Volvo 740 ? one a few weeks ago & it had a shroud which was like the one you have with a electric fan offset to the same side ? as what you need ..

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Default Re: Which Electric Fan + Shroud to Clear JZA70 Engine.

I'll have a look at some Volvo stuff, Thanks..... yes that's what I'm after a fan that is slightly offsett.... I mean Center will be OK too, but it will have more of a hump closer to the throttle body which may touch, so which was why i was looking offset, so by the time the shroud reaches the throttle body area it's more likely to clear....

But anything that has the fan where the throttle body is e.g offset to the right.... Won't work.