Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which to modify - 18R or 21RC

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Which to modify - 18R or 21RC

I like to return to this and ask what anyone who has dynoed the stock 18R-G have resulted? I quess there is no 140 hp ones.. 130? ehhh say something like 120 hp?
    Torque on something like 185 Nm?
    Please tell me!

And include the notion that was it a plain 18R-G or -GR or -GEU (compression goes 9,7:1/9,2:1/8,4:1 accordingly)

Marcus,I could part the head and intake;the Cressida they are in is too rusted to save (at least I don't want to weld it up..) so engine is free to go.
    It was just a experiment to see what I can do with it (with next to zero money).Bigger carbs (at least 34 chokes),bigger cam and somekind of header should result easy 150 hp and something like 230 Nm.I have no more interest in it;Cressida has modified tank (115 l) to get cheap Russian gas but when the chassis failed the MOT so many places it's done.It was a good tanker :-D

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Sounds interesting that the 18-RC can make more hp as the 5R can also make alot of hp with only pushrods and similar wedge type head sporting factory 45mm inlet valves. My toyota camper with 5R pulls 5 tonnes loaded easily to 150kmhr on a slight gradient uphill on the freeway so sometimes theres more than just twin cams been a good engine.

The 18rc in my brothers old corona wagon 1979 model has done more than 680,000kms and recently was pushed hard with noisey chain from melbourne to sydney and back for a weekend hoping it would blow-up and get a rental car back but it didnt and when I checked the oil it was empty, I put new oil and filter in and the chain noise disappeared and kept driving it until a bushfire got it in a property on black saturday.

I would like to suggest an 18rc as they are all cast iron no problems with head gaskets like cast iron alloy headed engines suffer and if you put thermal coatings on the combustion chamber and exhaust ports after some porting and the 46mm valves mentioned then supercharging could be a nice and cheap solution for big grunt.

MorGo any pics of that head you did?

Ehh.. the 2/3/4/5 R are completely different engines compared to 8R/10R/18R (not to mention US 18R-C model;something horrible..)
    The 8R head is really way better than Ford OHC or Volvo B20.
    Sorry,no pics since it was done so long time ago.

sorry was just saying some of the old toyota motors like the 5r with pushrods bu 45mm inlet valves are also underrated like the 8R
    Here are the sideys you mean for the 8R
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tweed...old/1009547743

Why anyone even think to made something like that? Sidedraft carbs are designed to run one cylinder/barrel.They don't have Power valves,aren't designed for constant vacuum.
    Sure,they can be made to run but as just much as Ford OHC is made for racing..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i am a 5R person as i had a timing chain version in a 1969 RU12 dyna ex nullarbor mail delivery truck (with luton peak) could still do 120km/h and after having many toyota including a 18R-G and after many nights being a disability pensioner (budget wise) thinking of engines and cars i opted for the 5R and stouts.
    like many about eight years ago brought a 18R-G and when i was obtaining the bits to rebuild it i was told i was wasting my money and should have just brought a SC14 to put on a standard 18R-C, as the place we obtained parts from out of brisbane said that using two factory 18R carbies bolted on top of the sc14 some amazing budget power was being made and if a stock standard 18R failed they are cheap buy. the 18R-G solex are a nightmare and are near impossible to get streetable and so we opted for a 290 holley and still added venturi sleeves to make the thing drivable and eventually we pulled the 18R-G out, put a standard 18R back in and gave the 18R-G back to the man i brought it off as a bad joke.
    the 18R-G is like a commodore, i would not have one even if it were given to me, but others crap on about them as if they are the best thing on the face of the earth. over the years i have had numerous 18R and 18R-c as well as the odd 16R, the 16R would be a better option for a supercharger or turbo as it is more rev happy than the 18R and yet if you compare them all to a 12R mmmn...
    the 5R is not always 106hp as there are different versions and many different carbies and inlet and exhaust manifolds, yet when compared to the rest of the R engines it was very impressive for an extremely low revving engine that struggled to do more than 4,800rpm.

seriously the suzuki f8a 800cc engine had a solid shaft distributor no vacuum or weights and adjusting the timing from 8° to 10° btc took the top speed in the 4X4 from 80-100km/h, so play with what you have, flog f out of them and have fun as when i was a teenager we brought many for back yard demolition derby and pine Forrest thrashers. somewhere i have a photo of a 78 corona with the boot smashed that hard it was squashed back to the rear window and it was the fuel tank that became the issue and after i fitted the engine out of it into a ke10 corolla and continued to flog f out of it in the pine trees until someone stole the engine out of it.

edit
    look for a adapter to mount a v8 to the existing gearbox as it might be the cheapest and best option
    Last edited by whysmees; 25-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Ehh.. the 18R-C is the "California" smog motor with open up machined combustion chamber.Terrible design!

The place you obtained the parts should be avoided like plague!

I wonder how the STD Solex carbs can be "nightmare" if Toyota installed them tens of thousands engines and they run great?

Give someone a railway track and he/she happen to broke it with bare hands..

Anyone haven't ansvered to my question of what the stock 18R-G made in dyno? Why?
    Are everybody so embrassed of the result suggested "140 hp" or just lazy?
    I am not pissing anyone;just interested.And stop those "140 hp" crap spreading.If the 9R/10R-G have that much it's not relevant to say that every18R-G has it too..
    8,4:1 compression smog motor.. if the 9,4:1 European market 18R-G made 124 hp DIN there is no way that the low compression milder cam examples made more.
    Feel free to show me the dyno sheet and prove me wrong!
    (stock one..)

MorGo do you know if the 5R pushrod beast can be replaced with an SOHC 8R or 18R/18RC engine or are they same bolt up pattern?

Im thinking of building an 18R but I think we mainly got the RC motors here.
    I need to either consider rebuilding my 5R as it been around Oz twice or install an 18R or similar bullet proof engine.
    I dont want to go any other motor like some put holden 6 cylinder engines in them and end up dissatisfied.
    I was thinking of installing an 18RG from Japan with higher compression pistons but would prefer the SOHC.

Here is a mildly worked 18RGU and I have to say its quite a decent unit with bigger pistons and different cams
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...t=55565&page=3

I used to have an R28 with an Jp 18-RG and would only come alive at 4000rpm and go to 8K without issues.
    Felt it had 140hp ate but no history yet felt way better than a new 140hp ate sr20 similar weight nissan pulsar.
    Last edited by liteace; 08-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.