Thread: Paint stripping a car interior

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Paint stripping a car interior

Hey
    I'm just curious as to what methods people use to strip paint on the hard to reach/stupidly shaped sections of their cars (mainly interior/boot/engine bay). I have been stripping all panels using a combination of strip-it discs and paint stripper, but this option isn't going to work too well for me on fiddly sections/around seams. I've considered just paying to get it media blasted, but I'm pretty short on cash, and I know paint stripper around seams is going to come back to haunt me. Anybody got any tips/tricks they could help me out with?
    Cheers
    The world's slowest TA22 Build
    My no longer embarrassing DD >> The debt is worth it
    +rep if i earn it

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Paint stripping a car interior

If you or any of your mates have access to a diesel burning hot water pressure cleaner (steam cleaner) then that is your answer. The 3 phase ones are the best and you crank it upto full heat and go for your life. Very good for taking pin striping, graphics and the reflective tape off ex-miners too but as my boss found out the other day you need to be careful or the paint comes off too which in your case is just what you want. While I haven't stripped an entire car like this for years I remember from the "Days of Toranadom" that it took 2-3 hours to do and entire car inside and out and while you were left a bit of a mess everything was clean
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale