Thread: sole lpg turbo pros and cons

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default sole lpg turbo pros and cons

i was recently given a turbo off a wrx that was removed new and a near complete gas kit, the mixer part is off a v6 commodore? and is this style that will be mounted on the air intake of the turbo -font-b-LPG-b-font-CNG-gas-font-b-Mixer-b-font-for-autogas-conversion.jpg_250x250.jpg
    it will be draw through and at this point custom manifolds will have to be made due to lack of room in the engine bay. the engine is the same as in forklifts the toyota 5R so lpg is not an issue, even though the 5r are only three main bearing being an industrial engine they are larger than normal four cylinders mains. the 5r are around 8.1:1 compression ratio and the wrx turbo is set at 7psi and as i understand so far as lpg is around 110-120 octane apparently so long as i have good oil everything should be ok, although possible power output is a slight mystery pending how efficiently the lpg is combusted and have been told anywhere from 150-200hp is possible.

what i would like to know is, dose anyone else have a sole lpg turbo toyota, or experience with such or have knowledge on the topic and yes i do have a number of spare engines...
    the engine is for a stout (full not lite) and started by mentioning about parting with the original 6.1:1 k series diff centre for a 4.1:1 landcruiser k series centre and legal cheap options to my motor sport obsessed family
    Last edited by whysmees; 07-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Default Re: sole lpg turbo pros and cons

One thing about LPG systems on turbos is that the system is normally designed with the LPG carb after the turbo at the intake manifold with some sort of system to increase the atmospheric pressure on the evaporator (old school LPG system) as the boost pressure increases. The main reason for this is to reduce the amount of plumbing full of a flammable mixture. Some turbo systems have a fair volume when you include intercooler and piping which would effectively be a small gas bomb waiting to go off. However running a short manifold like a suck through petrol carb setup would be very similar I would think.
    Ideally you would have a LPG injection system but I haven't seen any custom injection systems and I would expect they would command moocho $$$.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

One of the local "bush mechanics" has done quite a few suck through LPG setups. All non intercooled, low boost, and typically on dirty aussie sixes like holden reds, and ford 250's - both crossflow and non.
    He has just sized a factory based turbo of appropriate size, done some nasty steampipe plumbing for a turbo manifold, and thrown on a gas carb on from a wrecked vehicle of greater capacity. Typically, I think they were impco units off 5 litre falcoons and holden V8's that he had shitloads of. Quick on road mixture test with a half rooted exhaust probe, to make sure the mixtures weren't rediculous, and the job was done.
    All seemed to work 'ok' and out of the dozen or so that I saw, all but one of them are still going. Certainly no rocket ship, and I don't think the fuelling was particularly accurate when low revs and open throttle meant no real boost, but hey, they were cheap, and was certainly an improvement over the stock naturally asthmatic engines.

My only thought is the turbo off the WRX might actually be a bit big for the lack of power your engine makes, and what you're looking for. That said, if you've got most parts you need, and spare engines, give it a go - whats the worst that could happen?
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

Both the 5r and wrx are 2 litre, the stout RK101 with factory load deck have a 1,350kg curb weight and post 1974 2,970kg and pre metric conversion 6,900lb gvm with apparently an unrestricted tow ability, as the 5R do not like to rev and 110km/h is the engine @ max rpm I hope it should be suitable.
    Last edited by whysmees; 08-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

my advise get rid of the 5r and put your cash towards an 18rg or 1ggte and put the wrx turbo onto those alot safer and more reliable
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT

i have had an 18R-G before and pass as i would rather a 5R or 4Y, so as i have a cousin (female and has no interest in cars) that works for queensland transport in the department that deals with the paperwork of what can and can not be done, i realize that a very restrictive engine bay is only a factor. on the factory option engine, a 5R i can do near whatever i want to that without much issue and so why i seek info currently on the topic of "sole lpg turbo" and not "other engine options" as one of my stouts once had a six cylinder holden engine via a dellow kit and no matter what it could not be made legal here anymore.

So it is not possible
    Non collapsible steering column