Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controller to Custom Program/Modify Auto Shift points?

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Default Controller to Custom Program/Modify Auto Shift points?

Hi,

I want to modify Automatic transmission shift point in 1jz-gte Automatic.
    Is there any readily available solution or controller that can do this?

Thanks.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Controller to Custom Program/Modify Auto Shift points?

do a search for automatic transmission ecs
    supra stick i think can but its cheap and not sure how good
    pcs do trans controllers and are pretty good but expensive
    i have tip tronic units for the 1jz and 1uz autos which sort of make them full manual
    and u press buttons to shift up and down gears
    they work ok but can be a pain if u are tired and just want to put it in D and drive

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Suprastick and PCS come to mind as options. I've never personally used either.

http://www.latentsolutions.com/products.html
    http://powertraincontrolsolutions.com/transcontrol.php#

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Thanks a lot Dumbass and Wilbo, I always thought Suprastic was just a manualized auto solution but it seems you can have it control your actual shift points.
    Mainly what I want to do is to get my car to kick down into 1st gear a little bit higher in the speed range than what it does at the moment that is about all.

The hardest thing is going to be programming it to match the original shifting patterns first, is there any diagrams that show the JZZ30 Shift points/ranges etc
    that I can work off as a guide avaliable?

Thanks.

I used to trick my ecu and could control it to shift gears a bit earlier or later
    But if u go too far it would hit redline then try to change gears
    But if u are on rev limiter ecu won't change gears unless u back off

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

$10 manual shift button?

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...der-%2410.html

Wilbo - do you know if the HKS speed cut defender type 2 will work on an early JZA80 auto? It's apparently got 12 or 16 wires to try and integrate with cruise control and a few other bits that won't be on my car. Loose googling says you can run them in 4 wire mode?

I've got a SupraStick here...brand new in box with loom and instructions You have my number....

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

on some earlier models you may run speedo converter between speed sensor and ecu and lower "speed" by 10-20%, that would do the trick. Newer ecus however (jzs171,jzx110, don't know about jzx100/ja80) will "detect" this trick as torque converter slip and lower engine output somehow.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

The low engine performance is because all ecus retard timing between gear changes

And if u slow speed down to much it changes gears but its still in timing retard mode
    And comes out of that mode a few seconds later

The same goes if u hit and stay on rev limiter during a gear change it will stay at rev limit and not change
    Gears until u back off

I guess Toyota never thought the auto would change gears so high in rpm so they either didn't program it up there
    Or ecu goes into what the fk mode or its a safety thing

dumbass: my 1998 jzx100 engine/trans is happy to shift even in redline. Just tested it: L, pedal to the floor, 30km/h, 6300rpm, fuel cut. Switch the lever into 2, ecu waits a bit (1.5-2sec) and hits 2nd range (it does close the throttle a bit while shifting, but the whole procedure starts when the engine is in its redline). 3 and 4 work as well. Redlining 4th range needs 160km/h so I din't test it further )

I tried the above speedo converter thing with jdm 5vz-fe and 3rz-fe of 1995-ish years and they worked fine...well I don't know for sure but no one returned with any claims..that usually means everything is ok )
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

I'm talking about when u just put it in drive and let ecu control the gear changes
    Mine used to hit redline then stay at redline till I backed off if I slowed speed to much
    So I adjusted it till it didn't redline
    If I manually changed gears using shifter then there's that delay that sux too
    That's y I did valve body up and ran tip tronic setup which speeds the gear changes up heaps

btw it's just ecu that slows down gear shifts so much. JZA80 supra (a/t) even has special button (i-shift or something like that) that speeds up manual shifts.

I've got a Shift kit in mine, not sure if it's MV Stage 1.5 or Stage 1, i got told it's 1.5, it clicks into gear so well without being harsh at all, and fast too, I don't get any redlining before gear shifting.

I was thinking about tricking the ECU into thinking your doing a lower speed so it kicks down into 1st more often, but the problem is then It's going to shift too late, because it thinks your going slower than you are, so it will wait longer to shift because your fooling it into thinking your doing a slower speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT View Post
    I was thinking about tricking the ECU into thinking your doing a lower speed so it kicks down into 1st more often, but the problem is then It's going to shift too late, because it thinks your going slower than you are, so it will wait longer to shift because your fooling it into thinking your doing a slower speed.
    SupraStick can be programmed independently for up and down shifts (based on TPS position rather than speed, in fact you can have two custom shift maps plus the 'default' map), or driven fully manualised (with option of either lever gear selection or button/paddle shift) This addresses the above issue quite neatly. Maybe one of the gurus can advise if intercepting the TPS signal for the OEM auto would do the same trick? (I suspect not, but I am no guru!)

Oh, the description above of 'not changing up under full load at/near redline' happened to my A340 in the A70 when the 'box had been thrashed to death, initially had to back off the throttle slightly, but as it died more, had to back off more and more...after the 2nd autobox going the same way, I went manual

sligtly offtopic: Daddio, what did you do to poor A340 to kill it? I know only 2 ways to bring it to death: drive without trans fluid and/or redline engine in N then switch to D.