Thread: 1uz hilux- Exhaust headers?????

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 1uz hilux- Exhaust headers?????

hey guys ive got a problem with my 1uz hilux. IFS
    There is a crack in one of the exhaust headers and it cant be repaired on the car because its so close to the control arm. looks like if its going to be a bit of work getting the old extrators out i may as well get some new ones instead of reusing the bogey toyota crown exhaust that is currently fitted.

Im wondering if anyone has had any luck fitting aftermarket headers into IFS hiluxs. like these Castle Exhaust block hugging headers on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Block-Hug...ht_1859wt_1189

Or will an exhaust shop be able to make up a new custom set of headers for me? i understand this will probably cost a few $$$ will they be able to make them up with the engine in the car? any Recommended workshops in sydney to go to?

this is sort of what i want
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/att...extractors.jpg

my car is:
    97 hilux 4x4 IFS front (ln111)

any help greatly appreciated,
    Cheers, Dan

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 1uz hilux- Exhaust headers?????

i'm in the middle of doing this on my 1993 1UZ 4runner. its also IFS. not much room at all is there? i've got a mate making some up for me. an exhaust shop can make them up with the motor in the car, i'd say you would be looking at $1200 minimum for just the headers to have them custom made. i've tried a few different types including one block hugger type and one set of 100 series landcruiser extractors and neither came close without some very serious modification. passenger side the block hugger type should fit but drivers hasn't got a hope in hell
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”

Jeremy Clarkson

Yeh man there is bugger all room in that engine bay. id hate to be installing one of these motors. It does look like all the block huggers out there won't fit given the amount of room in the hilux.

Do you recon the exhaust shop will b able to make up proper 4-1 or 4-2 header or will it just be the log type header?
    What are you going to do for your exhaust?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

An exhaust shop can make up whatever u like. The ones we are making are Tri Y style which is 4 into 2 into 1. Im probably going to go twin 2 1/4 into single 3 inch. Sounded great on my 5L 4Runner with that kind of setup. Another friend of mine suggested we should/could have gone 4 into 1 but there is not a lot of difference unless you go tuned length 4 into 1 but with the room available IMO it would not be worth the effort. The ones in the pic u posted above (the ones already installed in the car) look like polished stainless to me which whilst they look good would set you back a fair bit more than $1200. Depends where u go, if U have the money it's much easier just paying someone to do it. $200 per section (one section per cylinder) is not an uncommon price for custom headers.

I checked out racers choice fabrications in Sydney and I've booked the truck in. I was really happy looking at the work done on other customer cars in the shop. The level of quality is unbelievable.

The owner said that tri Ys are the best for the 1uz as they achive more power at lower rpm which is what I want for 4x4ing. Gonna cost me a bit but I think it will be worth it. can't wait to get rid of the headers on the motor now