Thread: ARC Airbox Query

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default ARC Airbox Query

Hi all i've got a ARC airbox which im looking to fit to my 4AGZE but im not sure what the best way of connecting tube or hose onto the airbox because of the trumpet connector. See pics below. Any ideas welcome.

ARC Funnel.JPG
    ARC1.JPG

Genuine Hotty. Conversion King old_mr2's Avatar

Default Re: ARC Airbox Query

Perhaps you could cut the lip off the trumpet and then connect intake piping with a silicone joiner?

Car details etc? Engine bay pics?

Quote Originally Posted by old_mr2 View Post
    Perhaps you could cut the lip off the trumpet and then connect intake piping with a silicone joiner?

Car details etc? Engine bay pics?
    I was thinking to either lose the trumpet connection or as suggested cut the trumpet off. I guess what I'm curious about is it must have a way of connecting and how is it meant to connect to a 4AGE engine. In the UK we don't have the large MAF sensors connected to the intake pipe and I wondered if that had anything to do with it.

I'm using it in my AE92 corolla with a 4AGZE dropped in. Don't have any pics of the engine bay that would be useful. Space isn't an issue and I will be having piping made up for the intake.

ARC Airbox Installation Australia

Lots of info here including images

forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/188013-installing-arc-super-induction-box-intake-pics.html

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

I've got an AE86 ARC airbox and it is specifically designed to bolt into the factory location using the factory inlet pipe.

On mine, the bell mouth is located inside the box with a standard pipe section to slide the inlet pipe over. Not quite sure what is going on there.

By the way, I sourced a K & N flat air filter element to replace my buggered ARC one. You will need to measure up and check their catalogue, but from memory it was a SAAB filter (assuming yours and mine are the same size)
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by parrot View Post
    I've got an AE86 ARC airbox and it is specifically designed to bolt into the factory location using the factory inlet pipe.

On mine, the bell mouth is located inside the box with a standard pipe section to slide the inlet pipe over. Not quite sure what is going on there.

By the way, I sourced a K & N flat air filter element to replace my buggered ARC one. You will need to measure up and check their catalogue, but from memory it was a SAAB filter (assuming yours and mine are the same size)
    Yep I need to replace the filter it's not in the best condition. Funny you mention the bell mouth is located inside the box because that's what I was thinking. Wonder if it's just been bolted on the wrong way and needs turning round. From memory the opening to the box is square so that might need some fabrication. Is the opening to your Airbox square or round?

This also looks to bolt in the factory location as it sits on top of the factory Airbox. Will have a look at the link posted too.

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

Opening to my naturally aspirated 4AGE airbox is round. Bit hard to tell from your pic, but the welds should be a work of art. Has the section with the opening been modified?
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

I will pick the box up (dont have it to hand) and take some more pics of it with the trumpet removed too.

Ok few more pics. I was also having a look at a few Corolla pics and noticed that the MAF sensor has a plate which looks to be rectangular with an oval pipe coming off it. Maybe this is what im missing? The UK models did not have MAF but were MAP sensored.

ARC2.JPG
    Trumpet1.JPG
    Trumpet2.JPG
    Corolla1.JPG

I actually think the trumpet should be on the inside of the Arc box.
    Last edited by L4AGZE; 21-09-2012 at 01:10 AM.

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

I would unbolt the trumpet, fabricate a piece of pipe with a flange just like the one on the trumpet and run round air duct with 3" silicone hoses.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

isn't this opening for an AFM to dirrectly bolt onto. I know by looking at it my AFM off an 18rgeu would fit that perfectly.
    I agree the trumpet should be on the inside, thats my opinion.