Thread: ECU Tuning...?

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Default ECU Tuning...?

I have my lux, and i have a wideband sensor coming soon, and i wish to have a go at road tuning my microtech mt8s.

Anyone have some good guides out there on how to tune, and what kind of procedure is best to use?

Like things like, tuning cold start, whats the best A/F for which rev limit/load etc etc, the finer points.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

Default Re: ECU Tuning...?

www.mrcontrols.com has some info, whether or not it will be relevant, but it will give u a basis!

from what i can gather u will only be able to get low load sites on the road, which is fine if u are tuning for driveability
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Quote Originally Posted by Roundy
    www.mrcontrols.com has some info, whether or not it will be relevant, but it will give u a basis!

from what i can gather u will only be able to get low load sites on the road, which is fine if u are tuning for driveability
    I can get high loads as well, beauty of the hilux is the ability to load it up with stuff on the tray and go for a drive

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

bahaha indeed...i never woulda thought of that!! lol
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Set the idle to whatever feels right ie. if it hunts put more fuel in until it doesn't. Don't go too rich though.

Does your microtech come with a base map for a boosted engine? If so, wait until it warms up before you adjust anything. Then use the mix trim to compensate for the entire map (incase you have larger injectors than stock)

Then I would bet checking the pump 1 & 2 settings to see how it reacts to more or less fuel on acceleration.

You should be aiming for somewhere between 13 and 14.5 or so for light acceleration.

The microtech will have the t-rpm map done and you can see how it advances as the rpms rise. You have to check the t-map map to make sure that it is retarding as it makes boost. Do a search for a good baseline figure.

Also check out www.microtechefi.com forums.

Once you are on boost should be aiming for around 12:1 IMO as that is safe. So you want a nice smooth AFR line as it comes onto boost from 13ish to 12:1.

Then you will need some sort of knock detection device. I have inputted my knock sensor into my wideband to datalog it but I am unsure how it will work as I haven't tested it yet. I also have a Jaycar Super Ear Kit which is great.

You want to be listening for any knocking noises. http://home.netcom.com/~bsundahl/kno...nockSounds.htm

If you know the theory of how an engine will respond to different changes then I don't think tuning is that difficult. I am also going to be using a g-tech for some fine tuning later on with the 0-100km test (as long as I don't spin too much) as well as the datalogging in the microtech to see how different timing maps affects spool up etc.

Hope that helps.

Definitely check out the microtech website though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Thanks chris thats the kinda info im after.

The map in my lux is already tuned, but i want to go in and start fine tuning it to take a bit of fuel out for cruise etc.

From what i've gathered with a few of my own questions on microtechefi, cruise is best to be 14.7 to 13 from -30 to 0 and then from 12 in the midrange and then 11.5 for top end safety.

I've devised up a knock circuit which im going to trial and see if it works. Other then that ill be buying a superear down the track as well.

Oh well that info can be for anyone else that may need it then

FIne tuning is easy as long as you have the tools required to measure differences.
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    Then you will need some sort of knock detection device. I have inputted my knock sensor into my wideband to datalog it but I am unsure how it will work as I haven't tested it yet. I also have a Jaycar Super Ear Kit which is great.

So does this "super ear kit" actually help you detect pinging with your own ears? thats really cool if it does, especially if you can detect it early - before you would normally hear it otherwise

found the jaycar description:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

I am yet to use it in practice as my Rona isn’t quite drivable at the moment but very soon it will be.

I have tried it on my daily driver Camry and you can hear everything. Where I had it mounted was not ideal and for some reason this car has abnormally loud injectors but it was very easy to hear what was going on and I had it on the lowest volume possible as otherwise my ears would be ringing

It is very sensitive and it has a frequency booster also but I am not using it as it seems to get some interference when I turn it on and normal is fine anyway IMO.

So as long as you know what sounds you are listening for then I think it will work very well. It is basically the same thing as the dyno tuners use when they put the headphones on. For $25 it is a bargain too!

I will mention that I don’t think it is easy to put together but I am useless with electronics so Chuckster put mine together for me and did a great job!
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

ahh so its a self assembled thing, cool! sounds like it might be a bit of fun, might even have other uses besides listening for detonation
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

Yeah comes as a kit to put together. Everything required except headphones and some shielded microphone cable for the transducer.

And yes, my dad is using it to find blocked pipes (he is a plumber) Told him he has to get his own now
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

so the super ear ki is like the old 'chassis ears' then. I can pinch one of those from work. they are awesome. the one we have has 8 channels on it too so can hear for a lot of different things

yep 10 char
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ