Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with AE86 part numbers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Help with AE86 part numbers

Hi guys,

Can anyone with toyota EPC look up a part numbers for a brake proportioning valve for a Japanese AE86 with rear disc(1983) and a brake master cylinder for both Aus and Jap spec AE86?

I need them for my car so the engineer will approve my disc rear end swap.

Thank you

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default Re: Help with AE86 part numbers

what about getting an adjustable one like the ones wilwood make? might be cheaper, definately easier to find
    also there are some mercedes light commercials that have factory adjustable proportioning valves in the rear, im sure if you got these the engineer wouldnt know they werent meant for a sprinter.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

I dont think adjustable brake proportioning valves are legal and if not will be no use for Tom86 as he has to get it engineered.

well might be worth looking into, laws are different in every state. afaik they are legal as long as they cannot be adjusted from inside the cabin, but i dont know this for sure.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

pretty sure adjustable ones are fine, as long as you can;t adjust them from inside the car
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

say yes to boobs Grease Monkey mc68's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EVOSTi
    also there are some mercedes light commercials that have factory adjustable proportioning valves in the rear, im sure if you got these the engineer wouldnt know they werent meant for a sprinter.
    alot of cars have that, from lasers to lancias...i was suprised ae86's didnt have them

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka
    I dont think adjustable brake proportioning valves are legal and if not will be no use for Tom86 as he has to get it engineered.
    Yeah I want to get the proper one apparently you can still buy them new. I just want the part numbers just in case the guy at toyota can't find it for me. Other thing is I can use it to double check that I actually got one for the disc brake and not the drum brake one .

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

I pulled my inlet plenum off on the weekend to swap over my ADM proportioning valve to one I got out of a Jap 4AGE front cut ages ago. The ADM one I have is small and basically had 1 pipe going in and one coming out (I think), held onto wing by one bolt only. The JDM one was quite a bit larger and has about 5 lines and is held on by two bolts. Am now confused. Will post pictures of both tonite. Have pored over all my levin trueno mags and can't find a clear picture with the proportioning valve in view, though what I can see it MIGHT be the small one is correct? Worth noting I have never locked up my rear brakes (disc brake JDM T series) under fairly heavy braking and it stops on a pin (JDM fronts too). Anyone have a clear pic of the 5 line valve insitu with lines fitted? I am buggered if I can work out where they go. Anyone can confirm which one is right? I have both ADM & JDM master cylinders at home and wll have a look for part numbers. They look identical however and have the same bore, 13/16.

Worth noting I have never locked up my rear brakes (disc brake JDM T series) under fairly heavy braking and it stops on a pin (JDM fronts too).
    If it all works I don't know why you would even consider swaping it over . I'm swaping mine because my rear keep locking up under heavy braking, as it is now I don't think it will pass the brake test.

Has always been a road car up to now, but has been off the road 4 years and am 'restoring" it to do club sprints where the brakes will get a more serious workout. While the shell is pretty much stripped out, it is an easy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by parrot
    Has always been a road car up to now, but has been off the road 4 years and am 'restoring" it to do club sprints where the brakes will get a more serious workout. While the shell is pretty much stripped out, it is an easy thing to do.
    So you have JDM disc up front? and u still using standard Aus P valve and it never lock the rear? I wonder if puting in a JDM disc and caliper would help the bias problem with my car

As I said, am now confused.

Quote Originally Posted by parrot
    I pulled my inlet plenum off on the weekend to swap over my ADM proportioning valve to one I got out of a Jap 4AGE front cut ages ago. The ADM one I have is small and basically had 1 pipe going in and one coming out (I think), held onto wing by one bolt only. The JDM one was quite a bit larger and has about 5 lines and is held on by two bolts. Am now confused. Will post pictures of both tonite. Have pored over all my levin trueno mags and can't find a clear picture with the proportioning valve in view, though what I can see it MIGHT be the small one is correct? Worth noting I have never locked up my rear brakes (disc brake JDM T series) under fairly heavy braking and it stops on a pin (JDM fronts too). Anyone have a clear pic of the 5 line valve insitu with lines fitted? I am buggered if I can work out where they go. Anyone can confirm which one is right? I have both ADM & JDM master cylinders at home and wll have a look for part numbers. They look identical however and have the same bore, 13/16.
    thats unusual as both my ADM spoontahs have a proportioning valve as you described for a jap spec, 5 lines going to it. one is inlet for the rear and one is an outlet to the rear, one is an inlet for the fronts and the other two are outlets to the front, left and front right. as you know the brake line splits into two at the diff which is why there is only one outlet for the rears.
    i have no probs with the rears locking up on my car, i have 4 spot hilux up front and single spot rona in the rear a 15/16 MC, but i put an adjustable proportioning valve in before the new rear discs.

Thanks Evosti, I suppose it is possible the JDM one in the front cut got swapped by someone somewhere along the way, but highly doubt the one fitted to my ADM car would ever have been. It is a 1985 model and was bought in about 1995 untouched from a modification point of view. ?? Anyway, will put some pics up of both hopefully tonite.

yeah my car was untouched (two owners, all receipts since purchase) so i think its standard, and its an 84 model.
    maybe 85 is different? either way i wanna see a pic!