Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T50 gearbox issues? TA22 celica... need help?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer weapon x's Avatar

Default T50 gearbox issues? TA22 celica... need help?

hey

a couple weeks back i took out the 2t motor in my ta22 celica and replaced it with a better 2t motor. motor runs great however, it seems we didn't quite get the gearbox right.

ever since it was done, second and third gear had a mechanical sound when driving, e.g. kinda sounded like a rc remote control car.

anyways, then a week later a small tapping sound would occur from under the car and would only go away when the clutch was pushed in.

then a week ago, the sound got a bit louder and gears began to get difficult to put into their spot... e.g. 3rd was worst, had to ram the shift stick in.

then last night, every gear but second was making huge rattling sounds, loud enough for people to look and think wtf?.... second gear is the only gear working properly, and last night i had to travel home in 2nd...

does anyone know what the problem could be.

when we first put the gearbox in, we were certain the clutch was lined up, we used the end of a broom stick to line it all up... once we put the gearbox in however, i couldn't put it into any gears, like it was stuck, so from inside the car, with the shifter off, we managed to poke around through the hole into the gearbox at the top, push across a couple things and then every gear was good...

so yeah, from supplying as much info as i can, does anyone know what the problem could be and is it something i could fix myself if i pulled the gearbox out again, or do i need pro help???

cheers
    jamie

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default Re: T50 gearbox issues? TA22 celica... need help?

Hmmm yours sounds serious... I am not all that experienced with gearbox problems, but if you had screwed synchros before you removed the box, you may not notice them until the box is back in becuase you can upset them. That happened with mine when I got a clutch replaced. So you may have disturbed the already cracked synchros? Sorry I cant be of more help, good luck
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

synchros? that's news to me.... are these on the clutch plate or the actual gearbox... cos i have another gearbox sitting in the boot of my other celica... but i don't know how to tell if the internals are anygood... besides putting it in and trying it out...

just got in the celica and started it up... even in neutral, the sound is horrid... however, when i push the clutch pedal in, all is good again (sound wise)....

but yeah, need to sort this problem out quick sticks... got no other car.
    i have to go see a client now, they are only down the road and i know all the back streets, so i will travel only in second gear again... just hope it won't make things worse, but unfortunately i have to see customers, else there's no getting paid, and then there's no fixing the problem...

by the way, the clutch plate in the car is only like 6 months old, and when we put it back in, everyone said it was brand new, so there was no need for another one.

thanks for ur info sillycar chick...

so yeah
    anoyone else?

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

Mabe an input shaft bearing? best bet is probably just chucking in your spare box, sounds like it couldnt be any worse than the one you have now...
    good luck!

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

synchros are up the top half of the box under where the shifter goes in (me thinks, better double check this first). Unfortunately you have to pull apart your box to get to these. And if you put foot on clutch and noise disappears it means its a bearing I think... could be your throwout bearing (on outside of box - slides on shaft in bellhousing) or possibly a bearing inside the box. I would suggest just buying another box or trying the other one you have. it is expensive and time consuming to rebuild one of these. They usually dont give you too many problems these boxes but sounds like this one is screwed. I would be going for another one!! good luck
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I'll think of something.. Backyard Mechanic -NiCkeL-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwo
    Mabe an input shaft bearing? best bet is probably just chucking in your spare box, sounds like it couldnt be any worse than the one you have now...
    good luck!
    I had the same sort of noise, it's more than likely the input shaft bearing...that's what was making the noise in mine.
    Classic Celica Club of Victoria - http://cccvic.cjb.net

http://www.classiccelicas.com.au - The place to go for all things Classic Celica...

what happened with yours, did you fix it or just replace it?

i'm gonna swap it over with the other one i think, figure i'll go with the cheapest option first...
    pain in the arse though, everytime one thing gets fixed, along comes another....

i guess that's the 'fun' of an old car... but yeah, be better if it wasn't the only one i had on the road... lol

just spoke to the mechanic that put the clutch in originally (before i swapped the motor) and he reckons, that it was already all worn out on the inside and that this occured because the new 2t has alot more power then the old 2t and that over the last month has pushed it beyond it's boundries and eventually stuffed it right up... so yeah, gonna rip it out and try out the new one and see how it goes....

so yeah, if that don't work, then i'll be searching on here for a good t50 gearbox fellas'...

thanks for the help

i gave +rep to all of you, however i need to spread the love around before giving it to you again sillycar chick... toymods wont allow me to give to you again, but your pretty healthy for rep so i'm sure your not bothered...

cheers
    jamie

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Sure you didn't drain the oil and forget to fill it again

(I say this becuase I know people who have done it...)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

was the new engine an automatic?
    pilot/spigot bearing, and the trans will now need a first motion/input shaft bearing, at least.

I like cars... 1st year Apprentice Zerko's Avatar

Sorry for the thread jack, but..

I've got a simlar problem where I've just replaced the gearbox oil, put the shifter back in and it wont shift into any gears. I won't even pop into neutral.

T50 box in good condition. It's like the linkages have moved and the shifter is somehow in the wrong position.

Box has not been upright, clutch will disengage. Even rolling the car in gear and trying to pop it out of gear doesn't work.

I'll tried to poke around the top as well, but to no avail.

OK, did more poking and lined up the notches properly under the shifter. All good.
    Good luck with your problem.

zerko: i had the exact same issue when i first put the gearbox in and to fix the problem i did the same and all was good... let me know if the gearbox packs it in within like a months time, if so, means we both must have done something wrong at the time of installation....

WX, my gearbox hasn't been out. All I did was remove the shifter to fill the oil. Just a lot easier than trying to fill from underneath. I'm just a dumbass for moving the linkages before I put the shifter back in. Your problem would not be related to shifter installation unless you dropped a bolt in there or something.

Junior Member Grease Monkey BigBadBenny's Avatar

jamie,
    it sounds as though your g'box was on it's way out and has just slowly died. A possiblity that comes to my mind, is that the replacement motor that you put in, or more to the point if you used a different flywheel, it may not have had a spigot bearing in it. This will cause the input shaft to move around a hell of a lot more then it should.
    If the noise goes away when you put your foot on the clutch, then that is a worn input shaft bearing, this will be heard only when stationry.
    The most common problem I've found in T-50 gearbox's with the age that they are now, is that the syncro key rings become fatigued and break, thus getting lodged inbetween teeth and it's all downhill from there.
    Any other further questions, please ask, I'm only to happy to help.
    Regards
    Benny