Thread: valve sdjustment and clearance questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default valve sdjustment and clearance questions

I have removed both my 264 HKS camshafts in my 3sgte from a 1990 SW20. The intake camshaft I have removed as I intend replacing it, as there were issues with the cam lobes. On one of the shims there is this issue as shown in this image:

http://img177.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_221lo.jpg

The BGB does the valve adjustment with the camshafts attached, so would I need to reinstall the intake cam that has the lobe problem,which caused the indentation as shown above (the rest of the shims are flat). How would i go about measuring the clearance of that particular shim properly?

Another thing the valve adjustment requires me to do via the BGB is to adjust the pulley to TDC by lining up the crank pulley with the marks on the lower timing belt cover. However, I have removed the pulley, the timing belt and cam gears in order to inspect and remove both camshafts. Is there a way of lining the keyways (where the timing belt guide only slides one way onto) upwards with no crank pulley installed to get TDC, or do I have no choice but to do the valve alignment after the cams are installed, including the old one, in order to get the correct clearance, and do I then have to remove everything again in order to install the new cam?

Will i have to remove the shim when the cam is actually installed as it shows in the BGB, or can I do it while everything off which would be vastly superior if there is a way as putting things on and taking them off is a pain? Obviously if I have to I will, but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has ideas.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: valve sdjustment and clearance questions

Pic don't work buddy.

and I'm completely unfamiliar with the 3s but looks like a 4a head off google. As far as I understand you are setting valve clearances on old cams but you're going to put new ones in? Why do you need the set the clearances on old cam if a new one is going in?

Re spinning the crank: Didn't you set the motor to TDC when you pulled the cams out? if not just pop the crank pulley back on the crank snout, pull the plugs out and spin the motor over by hand.

Since I can't see the picture, I'm only guessing but replace the shim and measure the new shim. or better (cheaper) yet, you swap a shim out of another cylinder into the problem one and measure the clearance with that and go buy the right shim.

You can assemble everything timed up and all, and write down the valve clearances. Then you pull the timing belt off, pull the cams out, replace/swap shims and put the cams back in and button it up. I normally do that if I'm putting new cams in or mixing and matching bits because a lot of the shims will need to be swapped out. If you're just doing regular maintenance and only a few shims need to get swapped around, I do it with the cams in. You can buy a tool which makes removing shims with cams in easy but you don't need it.

Also, BGB sounds stupid. Took me a little while on google trying to figure out what it even meant.

theres the correct photo link

The BGB is the work manual made by Toyota for the MR2. The motor is technically set to TDC when the crank pulley and lower timing belt cover is installed and you refer to the marks on the lower timing belt cover to find TDC. The problem is in order to get TDC using this method I need to install the timing belt. I was wondering if there was a way of measuring the valve clearances without having to reinstall everything. For example, can I just install the cams and measure the clearances when the cam lobe isnt pressing against the valve spring? The work manual records the clearances by finding TDC which then when timed correctly gets the lobes to contact at certain valves and the valves which arent in contact you then measure the clearance using a feeler gauge.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by subaer View Post
    ...just install the cams and measure the clearances when the cam lobe isnt pressing against the valve...
    Yes .
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

The cams can be shimmed irrespective of engine timing. I shim mine with the head on the bench, meters away from the block.
    Just rotate the cams so that the lobe for the shim you are measuring is pointing directly away from the shim.

Oh, and do the measurements with the cams you will actually be using, otherwise your clearances will be way out.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    The cams can be shimmed irrespective of engine timing. I shim mine with the head on the bench, meters away from the block.
    Just rotate the cams so that the lobe for the shim you are measuring is pointing directly away from the shim.

Oh, and do the measurements with the cams you will actually be using, otherwise your clearances will be way out.
    How do I do the valve clearance measurement with the indented shim that I showed in the photo, do I just measure the clearance with the feeler gauge across the whole of the shim with the new cam installed, even though it rounds out in the middle of the shim disc. Will I be able to get an accurate measurement?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by subaer View Post
    ...do I just measure the clearance with the feeler gauge across the whole of the shim with the new cam installed, even though it rounds out in the middle of the shim disc. Will I be able to get an accurate measurement?
    No & no.
    Can this shim be flipped over & reused, as long as its F'd up surface is flat, smooth & has nothing protruding where it contacts the follower/lifter? Yes if it's the same type design as the 4AG, otherwise, IDK.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Use a shim from another valve and work from that, then when you know what size you need, buy a new one to replace it.