Thread: St165 3" dump pipe

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default St165 3" dump pipe

Hi guys,
    I have a '88 Celica ST165 with the stock engine in. When I bought the car it came with a complete 3" SS exhaust system, not fitted.

The dump pipe is the wrong one for my car. It is a 6 bolt type. My vintage of the CT26 Turbo has only 4 bolt flange for the connection from the turbo to the exhaust connection.

There is a guy selling 3"SS Dump Pipes on ebay for about $99.00. I contacted him and told him about my model of Celica and explained the problem with the connection of the DP to the turbo. He said the ones he is selling us universal and will fit all CT20 turbos and assured it will fit. Huh?

Anyone heard of this? I'm a bit sceptical about this. I don't want to by it and then find out it is the same as the one sitting in my shed- useless.

By the way, I have an ad in the parts wanted, asking if anyone has a 4bolt 3" SS dump pipe, sitting around in their shed not being used or not wanted anymore. I would be happy to take it off your hands and put a few spin dooolars in your piggy bank doing it..

Cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: St165 3" dump pipe

Why not just buy a ct flange and replace the flange on the dumpipe you have?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

i have a 4bolt flange and 6bolt flange, i will popst pics of how close they are etc, but having said that, the turbo position is completely different between gen1 and gen2/3.

Shrike - mate that is my last option. Getting a bit of 12mm SS plate is not that easy. Then sitting down cutting out the shape hmmmm I done it before but it is bloody hard work. Then putting on all the exhaust, well the cat back section, putting the flange on the turbo, then tack welding the flange to the pipe, then taking it all off and sending it out to be SS welded and in the mean time your wheels are sitting off the road. Then when you get it back, the flange has to be faced (milled) to ensure it is flat (no blown gaskets). If you get the angle incorrect, then the whole DP is fu/stuffed.

Jonathan - I don't think I will talk to you any more, you are scaring me too much lol. After I read your thread I dived out to the garage ripped off the turbo heat shields and compared the DP I have against my stock turbo and exhaust and the set of extractors I have. Wellll it looks o.k.sought of. I look forward to looking at your pic's

Cheers

here's pics. gen2 ct26 turbo-dump gasket, gen1 ct26 flange.

the gen1 turbo sits further away from the engine and a little higher to clear the block mounted oil cooler which is mounted where the gen2/3 have just the oil feed pipe as the oil cooler is between the block/filter on gen2 (except gen3 just has the cooler mounted there and the filter off the sump)

Thanks Jonathan,

I still would like to get that DP or flange from you.

I have more problems. I bought extractors for my car, but again they are for a later 3SGTE engine (gen II I think). They have too many bolt holes and the angle of the flange to the turbo I think is different.

Ehhhh! So I have a bit of work to do, a few little mod here and there?

Anyway did you see the 2 PM's I sent you?

Cheers

yes, sent you an email and an sms. did you not get either????

don't fit the "extractors" they're are cheaply made and badly designed. they will crack sooner or later and then you will have an exh leak. also won't get you any performance increase imho.