Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2JZGTE vvt into IS200

Toymods member no 341 Domestic Engineer amichie's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZGTE vvt into IS200

Nice thread.

On the OBDII issue. The ebay techstream/mongoose/mini VCI adpaters work on my GS300. The ELM327 type do not.

Andrew

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

elm type obd2 tools are mainly usa based and therefore dont work on many japanese toyota based cars
    i hve a wifi tool and only works on some fords and commodores

this is why very good diagnostic scanners that can do most cars cost around 5 to 7 grand to buy
    and even then u might need up to 10 scan tools to do most makes and models as some say they do this car but they dont

my friend has around 15 scanners and probably spends 20 grand a year keeping all these scanners updated

but if u just want to do toyotas techstream and cable can be set up for about 20 bucks
    but this wont do everything on an obd2 toyota

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    will take awhile but theres probably no other way
    its prob a 2 day job for a pro to do it neat and tidy
    Looks like I have to get it done in under two days so as not to embarrass myself. Once the 1G is out I will be able to go through the wires there to track them down. One of the big things is it seems that the Aristo cut gets a bunch of signals for the gear position from the shifter inside (not from the switch on the transmission). To get things working right I am not sure if I need this or can use the signal from the transmission.

To use manual mode and the shift buttons on the steering wheel it will need it to see the change when the shifter is moved to the right (not seen on the transmission). This signal/wire must be there in the IS200 - just need to find it. The Altezza steering wheel with shift buttons has been installed and the wires seem to be in the same order as the Aristo going onto the spiral connector (behind the steering wheel). Wires leave there and hopefully end up in the drivers kick panel area so they will need to be extended and taken to the ECU.

If anyone has wiring information it would still be appreciated.

what year is the 2j vvti
    did one years ago and i think early versions dont have tip tronic
    the wires were not in the ecu and i think the wires were not in the loom going to gbox but i could be wrong
    was in a cressida and customer just fitted cressida shifter
    anyway u might find afew things dont work properly
    this is where u need to compramise stuff or made something to bypass it or give it correct signal
    ive neveer seen an is200 done properly with everything working like factory
    i just never found a customer who was willing to pay to get it done right
    so u can be the first to get it done right
    if u havent dont a wiring job this big before find all the info and start studying before u jump into it

The engine is a 98 model and since the front cut had the shift buttons on the steering wheel I assume it is functional.

I have just sat the 2J into the car on the new mounts and all is well. The JZS161 Aristo has the correct sump configuration to go into the IS200. I removed it to find this out, so after cleaning and applying new gasket material it is back on. This is confirmed by it actually sitting in the car that way. I will now manipulate the heater outlets and then the next fit is with the gearbox attached to get a measurement for the custom tailshaft and see which gearbox crossmember will fit.

I have a spare set of engine mounts for the JZ conversion to offload now.

I spent the afternoon going through the wiring spreadsheet I had put together and trying to finalise it so I can do the changes.

I think I have enough to make it run (except for fuel pump control) but it seems I don't have anything for a few bits:

1. The P and R signals for the ECU that are meant to come from the body inputs. I can get the D and 3/M signals from here but not the others. Not sure if it is important or how to get those so far.

2. REC/REC2 signal - not sure if I need "hydraulic fan control" but probably used for electrical fan control too.

3. Fuel pump relay control - IS200 uses FC and the Aristo uses DI and FPC seemingly to run the pump at different speeds. As I have the front cut will I have the fuel control ECU and should I try to run it?

4. I will need to run the two wires for the shift up and down from the steering wheel - as expected, but not urgent.

5. Radiator temp sensor does not go to ECU for IS200 as it seems the temp switch controls the fans. The Aristo seems to have speed control for the two fans (as indicated by two boxes with heat sinks on them. Would be nice to have but not much space there so may be done later.

6. Not sure why the engine body connectors need ABS and SRS relay connections - any ideas?

7. Proportional power steering solenoid - how should this be done. Is there a separate steering ECU for the aristo that should be installed and is the control solenoid on the pump itself? On a JZX81 conversion I thought the rack had the solenoid and wiring was part of the body - ideas?

BTW the engine is sitting on all mounts including the gearbox crossmember and nice to be able to use all factory items. I can see clearances and have made most of the intercooler piping. Just waiting to install turbos again and get a silicon elbow reducer to finish it off. Measurements taken for custom tails haft and waiting for Toyota to get the new 4 bold flange to go into the Aristo auto transmission for fabrication.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianRA23 View Post
    3. Fuel pump relay control - IS200 uses FC and the Aristo uses DI and FPC seemingly to run the pump at different speeds. As I have the front cut will I have the fuel control ECU and should I try to run it?
    Pretty sure the Aristo Fuel Pump ECU is located in the rear of the car so it's not likely that you have it as part of the front cut
    This is relevant however...
    http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...20COR%20Wiring

6. Not sure why the engine body connectors need ABS and SRS relay connections - any ideas?
    They go to the engine mounted diag connectors I believe. Why to be honest I could not detail!

7. Proportional power steering solenoid - how should this be done. Is there a separate steering ECU for the aristo that should be installed and is the control solenoid on the pump itself? On a JZX81 conversion I thought the rack had the solenoid and wiring was part of the body - ideas?
    Are you sure the IS200 doesn't have a separate Proportional Power Steering (PPS) ECU? i.e. JZA80 has a separate PPS ECU and the wiring simply goes via the engine loom wiring. JZZ3x has the wiring as part of the body loom side however...

I'm pretty sure it should be a case of just making sure that the existing IS200 wiring remains unchanged at the end of the day.

BTW the engine is sitting on all mounts including the gearbox crossmember and nice to be able to use all factory items. I can see clearances and have made most of the intercooler piping. Just waiting to install turbos again and get a silicon elbow reducer to finish it off. Measurements taken for custom tails haft and waiting for Toyota to get the new 4 bold flange to go into the Aristo auto transmission for fabrication.
    Do you have the part numbers for the factory items / what they are sourced from?

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666 View Post
    Pretty sure the Aristo Fuel Pump ECU is located in the rear of the car so it's not likely that you have it as part of the front cut
    This is relevant however...
    http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...20COR%20Wiring

They go to the engine mounted diag connectors I believe. Why to be honest I could not detail!

Are you sure the IS200 doesn't have a separate Proportional Power Steering (PPS) ECU? i.e. JZA80 has a separate PPS ECU and the wiring simply goes via the engine loom wiring. JZZ3x has the wiring as part of the body loom side however...

I'm pretty sure it should be a case of just making sure that the existing IS200 wiring remains unchanged at the end of the day.

Do you have the part numbers for the factory items / what they are sourced from?

Cheers
    Wilbo
    i would like to know this also

The engine mounts can be sourced from the IS300 (fitted with the 2JZGE) and the inlet side mount is the same as fitted to the second gen Aristo JZS161. Effectively I only needed to buy the right side (exhaust) alloy mount for this conversion. The rear engine (gearbox) support which is made of alloy and is a bit over 1ft long was typically a custom fabrication, but again the JZS161 Aristo mount fits this perfectly (part number: 57255‑30100).

Progress has been slower than expected with two bouts of the flu, but it is satisfying to see all steps going in the right direction.

I have been waiting for over a week now for the rear gearbox flange to go into the auto box. This flange is from an auto Supra and replaces the three prong donut type setup with the four bolt universal joint fixture. Once done I will be able to take the IS200 tailshaft and a Landcruiser slip joint shaft with universal joint to a custom tailshaft workshop for fabrication.

Being able to get the clearance around the rear turbo to body and heater pipes was very convenient. The alloy pipe definitely needs changing (welding finished on that last night) to not sit directly in front of the lower hose outlet for the heater. I note that others have recommended cutting the pipe to about 1in long to allow installation. Instead I removed the pipes from the heater core (easy access under the steering wheel area) and used some heat to put a large bend away from the engine for the lower hose and a bend up for the top hose to clear this. I will be able to access the ends for changing rubber hoses in the future so pleased with this result. They will not be reinstalled until the engine is sitting back on the mounts as the housing is likely to hit these before the engine is sitting down correctly. One of the (unused) tabs on the rear turbo compressor housing must be removed as this will hit the body. The body wiring harness needs to be moved up so it does not obstruct the turbo housing - has been suggested to sit it between the heater pipes.

Wiring was 95% completed yesterday and will be tested once the engine goes back in. Fingers crossed!

Intercooler piping 75% done - just need some changes done to the FMIC to extend one of the pipes.

Power steering pump is on the other side and the high pressure line had to be re-routed. This was done using the Aristo hose and the steel section was heated with MAPP gas bottle and bends straightened and then recent to fit correctly. This is in place and ready to go. The low pressure end will be run across the front, above the intercooler and the reservoir hopefully located in the normal place between the strut tower and the ECU box.

The air conditioner hose ends to AC compressor have been removed and can be directly used on the existing hoses. I have removed the other ends as getting the rubber hoses replaced seems to be the best solution.

The fuse box (and ECU box) is in the same location in both cars. For the alternator (now on the other side of the engine) the heavy main power wire runs down along the cross-member and up to the fuse box. This can be moved straight into the IS200 body.

Booked in for the exhaust fitment on Friday. I doubt the tailshaft will be ready before then so it will be towed over, but if I am lucky I will have it running and can test the ECU with the IS200 dash. I ready recently that the development of the Altezza/IS200/IS300 was done with the second gen Aristo as a base so this seems to be why so many things are a close fit and gives me confidence in the dash actually functioning with this ECU.

Started assembly on the modded turbos last night. Hopefully they will be back on the engine later today if I get my parts order with seals/gaskets. If so it will be into the car for the last time.

Need some help due to a delay in the parts delivery.

I need to get the custom tailshaft built but the yoke has not arrived and do not have the some dimensions. Primarily this is the length from front to back and the bold spacing and centre locating circle for the uni joint. I might be able to have the car on the road by the weekend if I can get the tailshaft build started tomorrow.

34780-14020 which is a yoke for a JZA80 supra automatic onto the gearbox and has a 4 bolt flange.

thanks

After the above mentioned yoke getting lost in the post I have decided to order one from USA and continue this in another month.

The engine has been installed and a few things connected plus the exhaust has been fabricated. This is using a flange to allow twin 2.25in pipes down to the cat and then into a modified HKS Silent hi-Power from a jzx90. Seems to fit ok and I look forward to hearing it run. Prior to installed the waste gate was opened up using a die grinder and the plate with the exhaust butterfly opened up (for turbo 1) on the lathe to 53mm, which is close to turbo 2 area. The O2 sensor has been removed as this was in the collector so a wideband was installed further back which is yet to be wired in. This will feed the gauge to be mounted in the dash and the wideband simulated narrow band output with be sent to the ECU.

The exhaust note is quite acceptable and cannot be heard with windows up and radio at low volume, which is just what I had wanted. During startup it sounds serious with a nice deep note. I will get a noise level reading from the engineer when getting the modification certificate for the engine conversion. If I am experiencing over boosting then I might be installing a restrictor plate in the exhaust somewhere

The IS200 radiator and fans look to just clear everything so once the last intercooler pipe is sorted and the A/C condenser is secured I will slot this into place. The standard core is a bit thin so I have ordered a 56mm core all ali welded radiator suitable for the automatic - this may introduce clearance issues when installed - will be updated.

The window washer water storage behind the front left of the bumper needed the bottom corner cut out to allow the intercooler pipe to run through this area. Worked out better than expected.

The shift rod for auto gearchange needed to be extended by about 25mm for it to work but is now in place.

The air box from the aristo cut is very close to being able to be used. Mounting tabs need to be cut off and changed and it hits the bonnet in one area that I expect can be altered so this can remain in place.
    Last edited by BrianRA23; 14-09-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Updated info from startup

do the Aristo's run a 4spd auto like the JZX100 Chaser, or a stronger version of the 5 speed auto shared in the JZS160 GS300 (did you get a 5 speed auto shifter assey from an IS300)?

as i am planning on doing a very very similar setup to my auto IS200..

Mine has the 4 speed which I understand was all they put behind the GTE. For me this is good as the floor shifter in the IS200 works without needing to be changed.

I have changed to the IS300 diff which has a different ratio plus LSD and better power handling (G type).

Nothing to add but subscribed for more modern goodness.

good stuff!