Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ST162 3SGE Swap (Photo Diary)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Default Re: ST162 3SGE Swap (Photo Diary)

What are you going to get modified from the G'Box?

Strengthening?
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sw20r's Avatar

Does anybody know the differences in blocks for each gen? My friend has a blown 162 gen 1, and were thinking of using a GEN 3 bottom end

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Which dash plug do you need? The MR2 one or the ST162 one?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

interesting read for someone new to it all. good luck with the rest of it! i'm keen to see how it all goes (sucessfully )

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

Shizer! I haven't been recieving my reply notifications for this thread - sorry to abandon it!

NeoNasty, I've got to get the shift linkages inside the MR2 gearbox modified to suit the Celica FWD setup. I'm finding it hard to find any solid information on the process!

AndyTTR, I'm after the one from the gen 2 computer to run to my ST162 dash. I asked Warrior, but he used his ST182 item on Chopin's conversion.

I'm also after the radiator return pipe connection from a Celica gen 2 3S block to swap with my (now rear facing) MR2 outlet. More details on that soon.

Alright, time for a new update!

The work has started moving again. Thanks to the help of these guys here and here, I've learnt what to do with the gearbox. No internal modifications necissary, just swap the shift selector over from the exhaust side to the intake side of the gearbox!

When swapping MR-FWD, there is no need for any extra drilling or machining, it's all bolt on. The MR2 gearbox has the FWD selector mounting holes cast into the housing. There is a cap on the end of the selector mechanism that is removable, so the FWD selector can slot in without modification there, however there will be a hole left on the old MR selector side. I think there is a Toyota seal that will sit in that end, but I have the part number and I will cross that bridge if I have to.

Once thats complete (this long weekend hopefully), it's time for the long block and gearbox to be dropped back in, then to call in the sparky!

For the wiring end of the job, I still need to get an ECU to dash plug (22 pin) from the gen 2 ECU and a radiator return pipe connection from a Celica/GT4 gen 2 3S-G/TE.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Hey good stuff! i didnt not know this was even possible! converting mr2 GB to fwd GB!
    pos rep
    !
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic matt86sx's Avatar

Good to hear this is moving forward mate, I was beginning to wonder what had happened to this project!

Good work on the gearbox selector, wouldn't have thought it would be that simple with all the right holes already in the casting for you. Guess it makes sense that Toyota would have had one casting that could be used in either application - works out nicely for those of us doing conversions years later!

Can't wait to see how this turns out, show us more pics when you can.

Matt

Thanks for the support! Camry ratios are boring and ST182 and ST202 gearboxes are a lot less common and very expensive!

SW20 MR2 S54's and cheap and common. Pending the success of my project, I would recommend them.

Dropping in with a brief update:

I've finished modifying the MR2 S54 to work with the Celica shift selectors; now I know what to do, it'd be a peice of cake to do again. I have a hole on the south side of the gearbox where the MR2 selector used to sit, and I've got to work out how to plug that up, but mechanically, it's all working with the FWD setup!

I'll post pictures and a guide in an update soon!

Recent aquisitions for the project include a ST184 clutch, which is a better match for my new engine/gearbox, and also a forward facing radiator return off from a ST185.

My next step is to organise use of a hoist, then assemble the engine / flywheel / clutch / gearbox and drop it back in!

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

have u worked out which pulleys you will be using? going the gen1 crank pulley because of the power steering and alternator? i think i'll go all gen 1 pulleys, but i have to compare the cranks. thats my main concern

oh, and i completely forgot about those headers. ill get them in the mail on thursday - i promise!

Hey Stu,

I've fitted the gen 1 pulleys to the gen 2 block, they are the same diamater other than the gen 2 item lacking the power steering belt. I'm planning on using the SW20 alternator unless I find a good reason not to.

Appreciate your help with the headers!

no worries - sorry i've taken so long. memory like a sieve. im havent compared any of the pulleys yet but is the alternator pulley the same? i scored one off a beams with less than 2000kms on it, same with a starter too. im sure there wouldn't be too much difference in em.

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

glad to see you're still making progress!

stu - the pulley brackets on the gen3 weren't interchangable with the gen 1, so i dont think the beams ones will fit the gen 2 if they're the same as the gen 1 ones....clear as mud. Thats if you're talking about swapping the whole bracket, didn't try swapping the pulley on its own.

old brackets, new alternator as its the same size as the old ones.