Thread: 4ac ----> 4age conversion what exactly do i need?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4ac ----> 4age conversion what exactly do i need?

ehy guys first post here, just got my car and its already in desperate need on a wee bit more power. i figure i need to do the head gasket and possibly rings i may as well go twin cam injected while the bonnets open.
    But i really dont know what i need?
    does the 4age bolt in? bolt up to the box? what about fuel tank/pump/lines?
    i know i need engine/ecu/loom but thats about it. also whats interchangable between the engines (alternator, starter motor etc?)
    Basically want a list of everything i need for it to hapen for me.. if anyone can help me that'd be great!

for those interested, pics of car are here, i'm fixin the body up myself and then gettin her sprayed in a few weeks, rims zorts and suspension r comin, dunno if i'll fit the 18's iw ant on so might have to settle for 17's

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...Smartie/rolla/

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: 4ac ----> 4age conversion what exactly do i need?

do you want us to hold your hand too?

do some searching, start at toymods.org.au, this topic has been covered to death and more numerous times.

and as you are asking the questions you are asking, you definately need to do lots of research.

happy searching!
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

have been over toymods.org bitch to search through also due to the 4 character minimum in a search its a bitch i'll keep trying tho... woodn't mind havin sum1 hold my hand tho

edit: i take that back i was thinkin of 4age.net sorry

dirty little Grease Monkey Cam-Rush's Avatar

firstly dude, you need to include what sort of car it is in your question...
    Secondly, this sort of conversion is about the second most asked about thing on toymods.
    Try a search for all the info you need.

to give you an answer...in short, yes, a 4AG WILL bolt into your engine bay, the box will also bolt up.
    That is the easy part of the conversion...you need A LOT of parts from an AE82 twincam to make this work well, or work at all.

A list of things i can remember are.

-fuel lines
    -loom/ecu
    -fuel tank and in-tank efi pump
    -brakes (to do it properly)
    -dash

and theres heaps more, and in the end, youll spend about 3 grand doing it, if you can do some work yourself. then youll have a non twincam AE82 with a few random twincam bits, and the poxy non twincam interior/options.

IMHO save you pennies, buy a twincam for 2-3 grand.
    Signatures must be no more than 5 lines of text at 1024x768. Advertising is not allowed in signatures.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

you know if you didnt buy 18 inch wheels. you could almost buy a factory twin cam.....they are starting to get cheap now.

save the money and just buy a genuine twin cam. it will already be setup and it will have the better sus and interior. then you can spend the money you would have on the conversion on other stuff like mechanical and apperance mods.

This is definetly the more cost effective and less headaches way of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

ye i'm thinkin it might be the way to go now, probly sell the old carby one, still needs 18's lol, crappy low performance car laws now with p platers i gotta make her look trick instead of modding to start with anyway

AGE-16V Automotive Encyclopaedia Dimmy's Avatar

18's scrub like CRAZY! Mate has 18's on his ae82 seca and i dont think there's a bump where he doesnt scrub

Mind you the rims he chose look awesome on his car, but even 17's scrubbed on my car so 16's are the best bet for practicality

I'll second what the others have said, just buy a twinky to save the money. if you do the work yourself you may manage to get it in at a cost of around $2500. I've got a 20V being rebuilt and thats gonna be about $5-6K, mildly worked of course
    I have been pruned by old man river!!!!!

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

*fails to see how an AE82 could ever look good with 18s*

i did i photoshop of 18" zenetti teks on it, looks awesome

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i wonder if heavy 18's with a 4AG will slow the car down to less than 4AC performance

maybe in 1st and second

18" on shopping trolley.. FTL
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

2x ae82's with 15". They look neat and practical to me.
    I'd stretch to 16 if you were on a really smooth track, but if you like driving on winding roads at all, you seriously need tyres that can flex.

I mean, you're either going to build a car that looks awesome, or one that goes well.
    If you're planning on an engine conversion on a car you want to look good, save your cash! Get those 18" chrome spinners with the LCD on them, cut your springs, fit some subs, neons, a crazy horn that plays a tune, and lower your seat. Then you can bounce along the road listening to destiny's child knowing your ride is phat.

If you want performance, you'll find that thing called suspension and those things called tyres werent invented purely because old women wanted softer rides. They're actually needed if you want to drive on anything that isnt perfectly straight and flat.
    Even trains need some suspension - and it isnt purely to keep the noise down.
    Trains would have tyres, but instead they have wheels that hook into their track.
    Cars dont have the luxury of rails, so they use a soft, deformable pneumatic wheel that deforms to suit the surface, giving mechanical grip by literally matching the texture of the road.

Anyhow, now that I've made my feelings on stupid wheels clearer than the moon through hubble, I should say that I know very little about converting an '82 to a twinky.

Here's a list of the known differences to get you started :

fuel tank
    Wiring
    ECU
    Chassis bracing
    brakes
    Suspension. Springs, shocks, sway bars
    Strut brace
    instruments
    exhaust
    probably CV's

AGE-16V Automotive Encyclopaedia Dimmy's Avatar

yeh 15's arent too bad on the ae82's

If you like to have the lowered look as well, 16's are FTW. Had them 'all' 13-17" and 16's are the best imho

Anyway, so what have you decided?
    I have been pruned by old man river!!!!!

decided to keep the ol' carby engine for now... make it look good, and then eventually i'll probly go the supercharged or turbo route (not on the carby engine)

:( Backyard Mechanic stahlz_ae86's Avatar

If you buy goodies for making it look good I suggest you get things that are interchangable to the twincam when you buy it. At the end of the day what you will have to do if you are planning on forced induction is buy a twinky as they have all the good bits the stock 82's dont (disc brakes on rear for instance). You want the car to stop if it's going to go quick dont you? Whether you buy a twinky which has been written off and do a reshell or just get a good one and transfer the "good looking" bits you have bought for the stocky for now is entirely up to you...